| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing w/ Orchestra.....Tips?
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 6:53 am    

I'm playing with a symphony orchestra this Saturday night, and was wondering if anybody who has done this had any advice or tips about it. I guess there's tuning issues and such, as well as the proper pockets of playing and not playing. This is new to me and I'm curious as to how to approach it.

Any advice would be appreciated....thanks!
Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 7:16 am    

Wow, cool, what are you playing? Talk to the 1st oboe or concertmaster (1st violin) and find out what they tune to - I played trumpet in orchestras for many years and on the East coast I remember they tuned a bit sharp, 442 or even 443-444. And this may be the one situation you'll ever be in where the rest of the band DOES temper its 3rds!

Also check in with the sound people, if they have a PA. Playing an amplified instrument in an orchestra can be tricky. I would think you'd want a smaller amp set up so you can hear it but let them be responsible for getting you out in the house. But if they don't have a live sound man then I'm sure the conductor will advise you on your dynamics.

Break a leg!
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 8:41 am    

Unless you have specific music written out for you,I'd suggest you choose your spots carefully. Maybe gently grab some single-note lines with the strings. Also,its amazing what a chime or two can do in the right place at the right time. Our little deal occassionally swells to 15 or 16 pieces or more,(mostly the addition of extra violins),and that plan works for me. But,
if you have to read notation, well, better you than me Good luck,and the idea of using a small amp is right on target,imho.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 9:41 am    

At the rehearsal play so quietly that the conductor ask you to turn up a bit. You will immediately gain a lot of respect from the orchestra players who are generally always leary of electric players. Have the stage crew baffle the area around your amp to avoid ticking off the other players. They usually have some small clear plexi baffles around.

Remember that the conductor for a symphony is totally different than for a pop type setting. When his baton comes down, DO NOT PLAY!!! Wait until the baton starts back up and just about reaches his shoulders. That is when the orchestra will start. Nothing is on the bottom of the baton in symphonic music. If you watch the first violinist bow, you will see where the entrances will be.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 9:47 am    

One problem I had was, since I was the featured soloist, I was asked to provide the A440 for the orchestra. But I tune my A's flat! I didn't want to give it to them! At the first rehearsal, I DID give it to them, and they snickered as if to say, "He thinks THAT is A 440??" And then they all tuned (down) to it! It was embarassing. So next rehearsal, I took the conductor aside, explained the siutation and we decided it was best if the orchestra tuned itself without me and then I'd tune up myself as usual. But DO be sure whether they're using 440 or 435 or whatever; you might need to adjust all your offsets. Can be tricky.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 11:07 am    

Quote:
When his baton comes down, DO NOT PLAY!!!

I can see how this might be a potentially embarassing situation for a steel player.

I hope you report how it goes, Chris; most interesting.
Break a leg, not a string.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 1:52 pm    

In this situation, I would think less is more ...
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2005 5:02 pm    

Luckily, the orchestra is centered around our country band, and is doing arrangments of "Smokey Mountain Rain" and a few others. Each year, the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra combines it's classical sound with popular music, and holds a black-tie fund-raising gala at $120 a ticket. Can't wait to sit there among the tuxedoes with my western shirt and cowboy hat, Sho-Bud all shined up.

I'll do a post-mortem on this thread - hopefully with a pic or two. In the meantime, I'm paying attention to all these suggestions and tips - thanks a lot.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 7:03 am    

My favorite advice for situations like this...

"Try not to suck!"

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 6:03 pm    

Gary,

I just burst out laughing at your post. I'm just back from a rehearsal - and that's exactly what I was trying to do, nothing more...ha-ha! Craziest thing I've done with the steel yet, by far. I was swelling, and ended up locking in (and out) with the violas. I realized right then and there that there was no room for imitating strings - they're right behind me.
This experience is making me realize how much violin, cello and viola imitating goes on with the pedal steel.
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 6:38 pm    

If this really is a "Culture and Western" gig, then don't forget to throw in some Bach Owens and his Bacharoos.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2005 10:13 pm    

Or some moozart.
James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 2:09 am    

And some right hand Choppin !!
James Martin (U.K.)

Watford, Herts, United Kingdom * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 2:18 am    

that should read Chopin!!
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 3:04 am    

Here's the set Liszt:

Rhinestone Cowboy
Make The World Go Away
Smokey Mountain Rain

I'll eventually get a Handel on it.....
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 4:22 am    

quote:
My favorite advice for situations like this...
"Try not to suck!"

Funny you should mention that. Last year, the youth orchestra my daughter plays in got a chance to play Carnegie Hall. The conductor's advice before going on was: "It's ok to make mistakes, just don't suck"
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 12:05 pm    

Actually, my advice usually is given to the guys I play softball with when they ask, "what should I do in this situation?".

I always response (sometimes when I wasn't even asked) with the same answer.

Try not to suck!

But I think it's always good avice, no matter what the situation is.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 4:26 pm    

Just tune to the Oboe A. Don't worry whether it's 440, 442 or ?

Stay away form playing open strings. Adjust your bar positioning, as needed, to keep in tune with the Orchestra.

You are the one playing the steel guitar. There is probably no one else in the band that can play one, so some may tend to be a little jealous of you doing something they can't.

Enjoy the gig.

Thanx,
Jim
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2005 5:43 pm    

Ok, my 2 cents (pun intended) & I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. However:
NO, DON'T tune to the oboe. Find out what the oboe calibrates to PLENTY of time before the orch. tunes, then set your tuners. You say above that the orch surrounds you (your band), yes? It shouldn't be a problem for the principal oboe to adjust back to 440 for this particular concert. But if he/she's stiff neck about it, then find out BEFORE you get out there to tune where he/she sets the orch., (440, 442, etc.) recalibrate, tune, then gas on.

Any principal oboeists (sp?) I've worked with in the past have tuners like us, so finding out before hand what the calibration was was never an issue.

But if you won't listen to me, do pay heed to what Mike Cass, (Wild) Bill Hatcher, & Jim Cohen have said. If your drummer hasn't sat in front of a conductor before, then after dealing with the rhythm vs. orch. downbeat issue all night, the drummer's the one who's probably going to want something that maketh glad the heart of God & man & will probably say, "Make mine a double."
Hey, it'll be fun. Just trying to help.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 4:06 am    

Have the oboeist blow one into the tuner?
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 5:57 am    

If the principal oboe doesn't have a tuner to calibrate to (most do, but there are a few with perfect pitch that don't) then sure. Problem with that is that unlike us that come in early with MANY strings to tune, an oboe is a monophonic instrument, & they AIN'T thinking about you with your steel, maybe your other guitar doubles as well. As a rule they'll roll in maybe 10-15 mins. before the rehearsal call, wet the reed, & go. No, find out before hand what the orch. calibrates to, & actually if you can't nail down the principal oboe say 1/2 hr. before downbeat the conductor SHOULD know, for that matter, anyone in the orch should know & some will roll in early.
You've got a lot to deal with. The orch. doesn't have the same tuning issues as you, similar to harp. They'll show up earlier.
Again, just trying to help.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2005 11:55 am    

So far I've been having a bit of trouble locking in tuning-wise when it comes to chords. I do have to adjust the bar to the orchestra. There's not much opportunity to play big chords anyway. There are so many parts going that it's hard to find a hole. I'm just doing a few single note things, although I can end each song with a higher note than anybody else.....ha-ha!

The conductor asked one of the singers his opinion about the mix. The singer's answer was that the pedal steel was too low in the mix. The conductor replied,"The what?" When the singer repeated himself, the conductor said in an English accent, "Oh, never even sawww him over there."

More guys were asking about my Pac-Seat than the pedal steel...

Tonight's the big night. About a thousand people - should be big fun. Right after this concert, we are playing a club gig for about 200 crazies dressed up in western garb for Halloween. Nice juxtaposition.

Thanks again, boys, for all the advice. I've used it wisely.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 1:54 pm    

Quote:
More guys were asking about my Pac-Seat than the pedal steel

That's no surprise, the Oregon Symphony Orchestra uses no fewer than 18 different chair setups to keep the various players happy, which of course they're not anyway.

Pac seat makers would probably find a ready market in the classical field, provided that they can custom-fit the height of each seat to its purchaser.

So how'd it go, Chris?

[This message was edited by Dave Grafe on 31 October 2005 at 01:58 PM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2005 2:21 pm    

Thanks for asking, Dave. It went great. The steel was featured predominantly in all the songs, and it blended well. It was a sold-out hall (1,000 seater) with a great response from the audience. The rehearsals were a godsend, because I finally found a way to weave in and out of the arrangements by the time the concert rolled around. I was assertive without getting in the way. I could hear the steel in the room, which was cool, taking into account what was set up behind me. We followed the show with a rollicking club gig that went into the wee hours. Great time as well.

All in all an excellent experience. There were no cameras allowed, but I think there were a few pics taken. If and when they surface, I'll post one. The Sho-Bud was beautiful under the lights. The blue Pac-a-seat was the only colour on stage besides black, white and wood....ha-ha!

Cheers.....Chris