| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel in Florida
Tommy Cass

Baldwinville, Ma. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:16 am    

I am in Florida July 19 through Aug 17. Any bands with pedal steel anywhere?
Thanks, Tom
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:31 am    

Depends on where your at.
I play a show on Monday evenings (6 to 9) in Oxford (The Villages).
Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 10:44 am    

Exactly what Jack said. Florida is a very long state! If you're in Northwest Florida, I play in Panama City Beach at Spinnaker Beach Club every Friday and Saturday night through Labor Day. But it's a 5 1/2 hour drive from Orlando!

Last edited by Robert Rhea on 20 Jul 2018 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Cass

Baldwinville, Ma. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 12:58 pm    

Thanks Jack and Robert.
I know it's a big state but I will be traveling all around it. Hope I'm in the right place at the right time to catch you guys.
Tom
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 2:02 pm    

Here's a copy of my weekly Facebook post. Its the same each Monday evening. Its in a church activites building but its traditional country not just gospel.

Monday evening, July 16, 2018, 6 to 9 PM is the weekly John Thomas Show with the Ramblin' Fever Band and other entertainers. Admission is $7.00. Entertainers get in free. Oxford Assembly of God Church Activities building (in the rear of the main Church building). 12114 N. US301 (approximately 1/4 mile north of CR466). The Ramblin' Fever Band: John Thomas Vocals, Cal Akers Lead Guitar, Jack Stoner Pedal Steel Guitar, Trudy Stoner Rhythm Guitar and vocals, Jr Reich Drums and vocals, Sue Bondz Bass and Vocals.

If you do get here, come early and stop in Wildwood (on US301 about 4 miles south of Oxford) at Bondz Music. The owner, Jonny Bondz(Bondzinski), plays an old Sho-Bud SD10 that was built by Paul Franklin (he was a Gretsch/Sho-Bud Salesman and from Watertown NY). He usually has some consignment pedal steels for sale. Last time I was there he had a Peavey Session 115 in stock.
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 6:44 am    

I bought a new brown lacquer single neck Marlen from Jonny Bondz when he was running a music store in Glens Falls, NY, about an hour and a half south from where I live. I think it was somewhere near the early 70's, One of the best sounding and looking pedal steels I ever owned. I wish I still had it.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2018 10:22 am    

Here's the link to Bondz Music web site.
http://www.bondzmusic.com/

Jonny's wife, Sue, is the bass player in our band. Jr Reich, the store manager is our "everything" player in the band. Currently Jr is our drummer but he's been a fill in lead guitar player and fill in bass player - and he plays them extremely well. Jr is also a steeler and has a LDG model Sho-Bud.
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2018 9:23 am    

I got a few gigs in West Central Fl. for those days you're here; almost every weekend. My band plays classic country. Let me know where you'll be & I will tell you if I'm playing near you.

North Florida
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2018 3:26 am     Northeast Florida Aug 12

Tommy, I'll be playing steel for 'South Country Classic' just outside Orange Park, FL (northeast part of FL near Jacksonville) on Sunday afternoon, August 12th. Here's all the info:

https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/email/newsletter/1413516374

Come by and say "Howdy" if you're in the area.

John L.

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2018 9:36 am    

Gonna be hot.... don't judge Florida by the weather in July and August. I bought my first lap steel from Johnny Bondz in South Glens Falls NY in about 1972.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.