| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with tuning nut
Jorge Fragoso

Brazil
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2018 10:45 am    

Anybody can help me out with this problem I'm having with a Tuning nut ( Left Knee to the right ) it gets very hard to move it , almost can't tune it up or down , any help will be very helpfull !

thanks a lot ,

George
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2018 9:05 pm     Problem with a tuning nut

From what you posted it could be from 2 different causes.
First, It could be rough threads on the rod. Most steel rods today uses rolled threads which are rather smooth. I some one has cut the threads with a die may have made a rough thread and that could be the problem. If this is the problem twisting the threads in steel wool may smooth them out and solve the problem.
Second, There is 3 sixes of rods used on U.S.A. built steel guitars. 1/8 inch, 7/64 inch or 3/32 inch. There is 3 different sizes of internal diameter nuts to fit the different size rods. The outside of all nuts is .187 (3/16 inch) very close to 5mm metric.(Some in the U.S.A Use 5mm sockets for a wrench). It sounds like someone has put a nut with a smaller inside diameter on the rod and it is just binding or the rod. If you have access to drills, Just drill the hole to the root diameter of the thread and it should work. The nuts are not threaded, But are internally threaded as you screw the nut on the rod. A little candle wax or bees was will make it turn easier. But the nut needs a firm fit so it will not move when playing.
If you order new nuts be sure to give the diameter or the rods so they will send you the correct size.
Good Luck on finding the problem and a quick cure, and back to Happy Steelin.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:27 am    

I noticed on some of the late Zums that Bruce put a little of what appears to be Lubriplate grease on the rod threads. Seems to work good. I probably wouldn’t put on on the ones that work good already, but haven’t seen where it does any harm.
Jorge Fragoso

Brazil
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:36 am    

thanks a lot guys , I will try all the possibilities !!!
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 4:39 am    

Also check that the pull rod is not too long and dead ending in the tuning nut. Some nuts have the hole all the way thru some don’t.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 2:15 pm     Problem with tuning nut

Thanks to you Danny Letz, You got me thinking.

Problem THREE
Some steels like My old MSA's and other makes have a sleeve or spacer between the Nut and the Changer Lever, The reason, So the threads will not be in the changer lever and catch or make noise. MSA's were aluminum, I have seen some plastic. If your guitar requires a spacer and one was not put on the rod, It could have ran out of threads locked on the rod and is not contacting the Changer Lever. Look through the end plate with a good light and see if the other rods have any additional parts that the problem one does not have. Good Luck finding the problem.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2018 2:29 pm    

And Bobby, on some guitars the pull rod is adjustable at the bellcrank too. JCH, GFI come to mind. It fits thru a swivel & is secured with a set screw. It could be to far towards the changer end or something else misadjusted causing the nut to “run out of threads” or the rod to bottom out in the nut.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2018 7:40 pm    

If you have the type of rod that’s adjustable at the bell crank, like the MSA , i set the nylon with about quarter of its length hanging off the rod, in other words the rod isn’t coming out of the nylon when it’s all dialed in, it slows down some binding friction and allows for adjustments still.