| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lazy River Teardrop Weissenborn
Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2018 4:23 am    

Here's a beautiful Sapelle Teardrop Weiss with rope. It's basically a style 3 model based on the original weissenborns from the 1920's and 30's. I built this one in 2015. It was originally built for a customer that had to cancel his order. I finished it up and decided to keep it for a while. This one has been great to have around the shop for people that stop by. But, as a builder, I have way to many instruments around and I need to make some space. It's had some play time over the years. Has a nice, warm and responsive tone. Similar to mahogany. Nice and even and is and has a good traditional tone.

I did a complete resand and refinish on it so it is in "new" condition.  It has my handmade rope binding, made of maple and walnut on the body and rosette. The sapelle is really beautiful. I get to personally hand select my sapelle, walnut and mahogany boards. This gives me great control over what I use in an instrument. I'm very critical of my woods in several aspects and I'm lucky to be able to see, feel and hold the wood before I buy it.  

Everyone always asks, "What's the difference between the teardrop and the regular style?" This is completely objective and based on my knowledge and experience I've had from being able to play many of each style and wood combinations. The obvious fact that there is less top surface are to vibrate and produce sound would make one think that there would be less volume and maybe a thinner overall tone. Tap tuning, bracing pattern and a little more added depth helps with the lack of surface area. So I think the tone is very similar to the regular style. With the sides focusing the tone right back towards the sound hole, I think that the attack with a teardrop is a little quicker and just a touch louder.

It includes:
Sapelle Back/Sides/Top
25" scale length
John Pears D tuning strings, which are .060-.015
Rosewood headplate/bridge/fretboard
Grover Sta-tite 18-1 tuning machines
Natural Satin lacquer finish
Case included

My return policy is by exchange only. So if you get this one and find that it doesn't suit your style or tone preference and would like to try a different one we would exhange it for a similar priced one. You keep the original one while the other is getting built.

All of my contact info can be found on my webpage. Price is pretty firm and really underpriced at $1225. However please email with any offers. International or domestic shipping is $30.