| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 String 5 Won't Lower Enough?
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 3:55 pm    

1976 P/P

Pedal 5, string 5 (G) won't lower enough anymore.
Even backed out, you an see plenty of gap at the changer.

Nothing changed gauge wise. Afraid to mess it up Smile

bob
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2018 4:00 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1504/11232_Tommy_White_C6_Setup_1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 12:22 am    

Bob, as a fairly recent new owner to P Pulls, a few years now, I can tell you this. You're looking in the wrong place. Something OTHER than the 5th string is preventing the lower.

One small thing that changed, perhaps a collar adjust or a rod adjust related to the 5th string , is not allowing the 5th string to lower. Thats why these things have some SLOP built in.

Turn the Steel over, watch whats happening in totality when you lower 5. Something else is preventing it from going that small distance to reach the lowered note.

Not long ago, I decided to take a very small amount of slop out of a lever, next thing I knew, the E's wouldn't drop all the way . I put the slop back in and the E's lowered as they should.

It may be as simple as a collar moved prematurely.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 9:07 am    

You have attached Tommy White's C6th pedal chart so I assume that's what you have. If that is the case, there must be a half tone tuner on the fifth string, pedal 5 change. That is a bit unusual.

The fifth string is lowered a whole tone on pedal 4, so the finger is going all the way to the lower tuning screw at the changer when using pedal 4. But the fifth string lower on pedal 5 is only a half tone, so the finger should not hit the pedal lower screw at the changer when using pedal 5. The gap you've described is supposed to be there.

You need to adjust the half tone tuner. Turn it until you are getting the correct pitch, just as you would any other half tone tuner. You should first get the open string (G) and whole tone lower (F) with pedal 4 both well in tune. Then work on tuning the F# with pedal 5 using the half tone tuner.

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 5:38 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
You have attached Tommy White's C6th pedal chart so I assume that's what you have. If that is the case, there must be a half tone tuner on the fifth string, pedal 5 change. That is a bit unusual.

The fifth string is lowered a whole tone on pedal 4, so the finger is going all the way to the lower tuning screw at the changer when using pedal 4. But the fifth string lower on pedal 5 is only a half tone, so the finger should not hit the pedal lower screw at the changer when using pedal 5. The gap you've described is supposed to be there.

You need to adjust the half tone tuner. Turn it until you are getting the correct pitch, just as you would any other half tone tuner. You should first get the open string (G) and whole tone lower (F) with pedal 4 both well in tune. Then work on tuning the F# with pedal 5 using the half tone tuner.

Thanks,

Yes, I have Tommy's '76 Emmons Smile

And I did see the 1/2 stop tuner. I moved a collar in to contact a spring without the play but it didn't help but I'll try adjusting the 1/2 stop Smile

bob
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 5:55 pm    

There should NOT be a spring on any raise or lower that uses a half tone tuner. You have to rely on the stop for the pedal or lever, and if there were a spring on such a string you could never get a reliable pitch for the half tone tuner note.

If you got this steel from Tommy White, and it has a spring on this half tone pitch, then I guess I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. I just see no logical reason to put a spring in such a location on a PP.

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 6:03 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
There should NOT be a spring on any raise or lower that uses a half tone tuner. You have to rely on the stop for the pedal or lever, and if there were a spring on such a string you could never get a reliable pitch for the half tone tuner note.

If you got this steel from Tommy White, and it has a spring on this half tone pitch, then I guess I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. I just see no logical reason to put a spring in such a location on a PP.

It's the spring that the collar first contacts when lowering the string. Other lowers have the collar right up against the spring if that makes sense. I'm just glad these P/P's stay locked in for a long time Smile
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 6:09 pm    

Show me a picture of the half tone tuner in question. I'm not sure we're talking about the same things.

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2018 6:19 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Show me a picture of the half tone tuner in question. I'm not sure we're talking about the same things.

I will when I'm down there.

thx

bob