| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Pro-Am sidekick
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 11:40 am    

I'm looking at an MSA Pro-Am Sidekick for sale locally. I'm going to go see it tomorrow.
Is this an all-pull guitar?
Is this a decent guitar?
I'm looking to get out of the break down - set up - break down - set up circle for gigs and practices, looking for a gigging guitar that I can keep in the case between times. Less weight, less hassle.
Six hundred bucks.
Opinions?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 11:55 am    

Doing a forum search yields: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-5376327815187413%3A7069819381&ie=UTF-8&q=MSA+Pro-Am+Sidekick&sa=Search

Looks like a student model, but with an all pull changer, came standard with 1 knee lever. It would not be too hard to add a couple more levers. It's probably worth the money, but not in the same class as your Carter.
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 12:12 pm    

Bill Moore wrote:
Doing a forum search yields: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-5376327815187413%3A7069819381&ie=UTF-8&q=MSA+Pro-Am+Sidekick&sa=Search

Looks like a student model, but with an all pull changer, came standard with 1 knee lever. It would not be too hard to add a couple more levers. It's probably worth the money, but not in the same class as your Carter.

This one's got two knee levers. I know my Carter is an excellent instrument (by my standards at least). So far I am only using my left knee levers - I just started this past spring, and I learn by adding complexity after I am comfortable with the previous part. I am just getting comfortable with RKL now, started with pedals + RKR. The Carter has 5 knees.
I still am dreaming of a GFI Ultra Keyless, but in the meantime...
I'm not sure.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 4:16 pm    

The Pro-Am Sidekick was basically the Sidekick model (or Red Baron) with a decent all-pull changer. Downsides are the plastic covering and the cheap (non-adjustable) legs and narrow wood pedalboard. Still, it's reliable, light, and somewhat expandable. Adding pedals or levers can be done, but it's not as easy as it is with the Classic or Semi-Classic models. If there was one close by, and the price was right, I might even buy one myself...for spitz and wiggles. Cool
Jeffrey McFadden

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2018 7:36 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The Pro-Am Sidekick was basically the Sidekick model (or Red Baron) with a decent all-pull changer. Downsides are the plastic covering and the cheap (non-adjustable) legs and narrow wood pedalboard. Still, it's reliable, light, and somewhat expandable. Adding pedals or levers can be done, but it's not as easy as it is with the Classic or Semi-Classic models. If there was one close by, and the price was right, I might even buy one myself...for spitz and wiggles. Cool

Cool. Thanks, Donny, that was the sort of info I was hoping for.
Bet I buy another pedal steel tomorrow. I'm handy with machinery, if it's a tolerable guitar I can do two more knee levers. I don't care about looks for this purpose.