| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  This might help someone
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 3:37 pm    

I’m experimenting with a thumb pick idea.

I’ve often wondered if the blade of the thumb pick were to be closer to my knuckle if it would stay in place better and possibly facilitate a little more speed. The concept being that I’d be moving the point where the pick strikes the string closer to my thumb joint.(the fulcrum) The possible negative effects would be not being able to use some wide grips and relearning to pick and do harmonics.

My curiosity got the best of me so, long story shortened, I’ve settled on trying a Left-Handed Dunlop pick that I shaped with an ignition file. You can see in the pic that I’ve lined up a standard Right-Handed pick, a Herco, and two of the Left-Handed picks that I shaped. They’re not in perfect alignment but they’re close enough to see how much the blade shifts toward my knuckle. FYI, I tried the Herco by pushing it as far as I could towards my knuckle but it isn’t heavy/stiff enough to stay in place. The Dunlop stays in place and seems to have a “thicker” sound too.(could be my eyes instead of my ears)

Anyway, it’s a work in progress and any constructive feedback is welcomed.

Best regards,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 4:41 pm    

I use Zookie Medium 20 degree thumb picks. I use to file the tang down 1/8 inch and reshape it. I now just use it as is. I see a few players using the Fred Kelly speed pick. I don't care for it with steel guitar but like it for regular guitar.

Try em all and see what works best....
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 5:24 pm    

Paul Franklin and Buddy Emmons play with the thumb pick close to the knuckle. Comfort and speed. I tried it myself but I don't have my pick close to the knuckle as they do. Close, but not on the knuckle. I do know that it does make a difference when playing something fast.
Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 6:10 pm    

Kevin,
I noticed that about Paul in a recent interview and thats what prompted me to try this. Thank you for your post—-now I know I was correct in what I thought I saw.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2018 9:27 pm     Pick placement

Hey Marty, I believe Doug Jernigan wears his pick close or on his knuckle.

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 9:19 am    

I think wearing the thumbpick closer to the distal joint knuckle is more about increasing power in the pickstroke than speed. But the closer the pick gets to the base joint, the larger the circular motion that joint has to make to get the pick up and over one string to another. Shaving the tip of the pick down helps in that regard, but you will probably need to make a slight adjustment to your pick-stroke technique in order to maximizes that option.

Locating your thumbpick along the length of the thumb also has to do with your anatomy. That’s why they come in different sizes. I can’t use a blue Herco, for example.

Scotty Anderson is the fastest guitarist I know of. His right hand technique is mind-blowing in many other ways too. He wears his thumbpick right out on the end of his thumb.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34a2w
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 10:03 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
... He wears his thumbpick right out on the end of his thumb...

The same was the case with Maurice Anderson, whose picking hand I observed very closely during a lesson. Though he didn't often play 'show-off' tunes, he definitely was never lacking speed in his technique either.
Stanley Benoit

New Iberia,Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:11 pm     picks

Marty,That's what I'm fighting now where did you found the left hand picks on the web site ?

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:23 pm    

Stanley, pretty sure at Elderly Instruments or Frenchy’s....maybe EBay. I’m old...LoL.

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2018 6:24 pm    

To all,
Thank you for your input and I hope we all will benefit by refining our technique.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 8:44 am    

I’m not sure but I think Doug Jernigan actually puts has thumb pick over his knuckle maybe that helps with speed. I do know he use too exercise his picking hand by squeezing different objects. An some of the pros would rotate gulf balls different ways with there picking hand An I know rotating the gulf balls definitely helps with picking dexterity. But if u go overboard with it u will have too use a different hand too finish the paper work after a bathroom Breake lol true story I know from experience.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2018 9:36 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
But if u go overboard with it u will have too use a different hand too finish the paper work after a bathroom Breake lol true story I know from experience.

LOL Johnie!
I can’t help thinking...if I were to combine your comment with Marty’s quote, “technique is the elimination of the unnecessary”, I might find myself in a bathroom somewhere sometime with a very perplexing little paradox...