| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cowboy Eddie Long Equipment + Tone
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 9:13 am    

Good morning Steelers, as being someone who is very new to the forum, I have tried to research past topics revolving Cowboy Eddie long. For the last several years I have been studying his work all the way from his early days with Hank Williams Junior, sessions he has done,and any and all live recording (video).
I am only a hair away from placing my order with BMI, to get into his tuning.
I have seen several performances where he is playing out of a fender deluxe reverb, and he has what seems to be only one effects pedal, which is orange. They’re in the picture below I tried to get as close up of a picture as I could find. Does anyone know about this particular Effects pedal? What it does? And any settings on it?

If anyone has studied him, you know that his teacher and mentor was the late great Julian Tharpe, myself only being 23 years of age he was a little before my time but I took the time to track down and study all of his records. Wow, what a stylist, and monster picker. Cowboy has a tone that is so extremely similar to Julian‘s, and from what I have noticed he gets it out of that fender amp, and the effects pedal. Any advice or comments would be appreciated .
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 4:06 pm     Still for sale?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306155
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 5:53 pm    

Don't know about the effects box. I can't see enough of it to tell. Bill Ferguson and Eddie go way back, perhaps he has more overall information for you.

In years past, I've seen him play Fender and Fender clone tube amps, Mesa Boogies and Classic Vibe too. For years, he played the stereo Paico amp system which I really know nothing about nor anything else concerning his electronics.

There used to be a copedent listed at BMI steel site, but I can't see it now.

I was fortunate to see him at the St. Louis ISGC back in the early 00's. Great playing and tone, fast as greased lightning.
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 6:42 pm    

Thank you Jerry for that information, I actually was able to find out that the pedal Is a “Wampler Hotwire” designed by Brent Mason.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 8:43 pm    

His copedant can be found on this page--->Click Here

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2018 9:09 pm    

Did I just see that his bmi was for sale?
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5. Both amazing guitars! Homemade buffer/overdrive with adjustable 700Hz "Fender" scoop., Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x TDA7294 80W class AB amps, or 2x BAM200 for stereo. TT12 and BW1501 each in its own closed back wedge. Also NV400 etc. etc...
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 4:37 am     Cowboy eddi long

You must be aware that he is on a promo video for Classic Vibe amps. Great picking and endorsement.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 May 2018 7:00 am    

https://www.wamplerpedals.com/brent-mason-hot-wired-v2
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2018 8:56 am    

Hey Cameron,

Yep Eddie and I go WAY back to even before the Hank Jr days.
A lot of water has run under the bridge in Eddie's career, but he is picking better than ever these days.
He can burn it up or raise the hair on your arms.

If you don't have his album from many years back, drop me an email and I will see that you get one. I have them in stock.
$15 shipped CONUS

If you have any questions, also let me know and I will try and get you answers.

bferguson1947@gmail.com
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Mark Heims

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 11:15 am     Tabs

I just got hired into a country band that does a lot of Hank Junior songs so I have been trying to study a lot of cowboy 80s stuff. Does anybody know where I can find some Hank Jr tabs?
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 11:50 am    

This is several years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpXY-2Aj6NA
Mark Heims

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2020 12:11 pm     Tabs

I just got hired into a country band that does a lot of Hank Junior songs so I have been trying to study a lot of cowboy 80s stuff. Does anybody know where I can find some Hank Jr tabs?
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2020 10:18 am    

Cowboy has been my mentor for several years now. He actually is the one (along with Robby Turner) who persuaded me to go on the road full time! I've played his tuning for 6 years now and if you do go with it, you won't be disappointed.

Most of Cowboys studio work is done with his 65 Fender Twin with 2 JBL speakers. Along with an older style Hotwired pedal. Most of the time, he leaves the Hotwired on for a "fuzz". But he also uses it for heavy distortion. Cowboy favors an old Goodrich 120 volume pedal, but he may have switched to a Telonics recently, im not sure. His stage rig is massive. He uses his twin, along with 2 2500 Crown power amps, with a Lexicon MX400, and a Presonus studio preamp. Into 2 Weber 12 inch speakers and 2 Weber 10 inch speakers that he uses for monitors. He also uses the Hotwired pedal live. He uses Powerboost Pickups in both of his BMIs that really compliments his sound. Thats about the rundown of it. I see this is a 2 year old post but maybe this will help someone in the future!