| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone Settings
Larry Robertson

Denver, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 12:52 am    

Does anyone change tone settings during a gig? or do you set the tone the way you want it at the beginning of the gig and pretty much leave it there the whole gig. Do some tunes require a brighter or darker tone?. Most steels don't have tone controls like guitars do and I often see guitarists adjusting tone for different tunes so I thought I'd ask.
Larry Robertson
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 3:17 am    

Yes I change tone settings and have used a Goodrich 7A super sustain. There is a tone control on my MSA.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 3:24 am    

Don't know about others, but I do. I try to match the tone to that of the original recordings. For instance, "The Bridge Washed Out", or "Hello Trouble" w/E9th demand a different tone than western swing stuff I do on C6th, like "Sweet Temptation" or "Stay All Night".

(Old dudes like me always remember the sound of the original versions!)
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 7:16 am    

I use a Source Audio programable EQ. It has 4 "programs" that you can program the way you want and select between them. You can have your normal tone from the amp, and 4 variations. I had an extra bright setting for the old Mooney type sound and a setting a little darker than my normal setting. Same for C6. I rarely change the tone controls on my amp. But I also have the guts of my Nashville 400 in a head cabinet that sits to my right, If I need to change settings, with my pedal board on top of it. Everything within arms reach.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 7:20 am    

I am always fiddling with the tone knob on my Strat because I change the pickup selector switch a lot. On the steel, I have a bank of 4 patches on a multi-fx unit that can be stomped on for tonal variety. I only use two of them though. One tastes great, the other is less filling.
Jordan Beyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 8:55 am    

I may change it alittle depending on the room, but typical I dont change my tone for a song. I guess I make it my own, my change picking style, or even where I pick on the fret board, but mostly never
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 3:16 pm    

I constantly change settings. I use basic settings that are adjusted to the size/makeup/volume level (and about 6 other variables) of the specific venue, but make tonal adjustments at the guitar while playing.

All my steels either have had volume and tone controls on the instrument (which work differently that a volume pedal and amp controls) or I built passive volume/tone circuits (similar to Telecaster controls) and plugged them into the guitar's output.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 3:24 pm    

On E9th I leave my tone settings the same as C6. The only thing I do change is the Low setting. On E9th my low is set at +9 or +10 and on C6 I set the low about +3. (NV 112)
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2018 7:30 pm    

When I play electric guitar I make use of the guitar's pickup switch, tone and volume controls. But on pedal steel at a gig I follow what Jordan Beyer said. I get things set to sound good for the room, and to cut through the mix. Dynamic changes are accomplished with pick attack and position. My amp has 4 preset buttons on the top panel. I keep it within reach, but don't find much use for it when playing out. I sometimes make small adjustments during the night, but not for a particular song.

I experiment a lot more at home. If my band mates didn't play so doggone loud I might employ more variation, depending on the song. But that's a subject for the [never ending] stage volume thread.