| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud...Aluminum necks or Wood necks?
Kirk Hamre

Huntington Beach, California
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 4:07 pm    

Interested in opinions on Aluminum vs. Wood necks on Sho Bud guitars...good, bad, and the ugly.
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 5:06 pm    

Hi Kirk, Just my opinion here. I have owned 4 Sho-Buds. A Professional, two Super Pros., and a Pro 111 Custom. Only the latter had an aluminum neck and it is by far the best sounding of the four.
thanks
Billy Tam
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 6:56 pm    

The general consensus is that Buds with wood necks have a more round sound, while those with aluminum necks are usually brighter.

According to Dr. Seymour, this isn't so much due to the material of the neck as it is to the difference in the way the changers are mounted.

My SuperPro has metal necks, and it's a screamer.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 7:41 pm    

I would certainly agree with Dr. Seymour on the mounting of the changer in reference to where the neck and pickup are; that give the metal neck sho-bud's a more brighter(or different) sound. I have measured the difference in all the different mountings through all the different sho-bud transformations...and this is the main difference along with the type material used.
So it's NOT particularly the wood neck vs. metal neck; as it has a lot more to do with the design and material than that.
Ricky
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 7:59 pm    

Right on Ricky, you da' man!
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 8:26 pm    

The Sho-Bud literature at the time said the aluminum necks on the Pro III were for improved sustain. This agrees with what Ricky says. The highs and high overtones fade fastest. So when you improve sustain, it brightens and enriches the sound. My Pro III with Truetone pickups almost matches my '90s Zum (also with Truetone pickups) in tone and sustain. I suspect with a John Coop changer it would close the gap. Of course my Emmons push/pull (also with TrueTones) beats everything for sustain and richness of overtones. I also like the looks of aluminum necks with the walnut stained curly maple body on my Pro III. It has the look of the old Sho-Buds, with a modern neck and modern mechanics.

Nevertheless, many people prefer the wooden necks of the Pro IIs, for their looks, and for the older type tone. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Neither is better or worse, it is just a matter of personal taste. I think good mechanics are more important than the necks. And of course, pickups can make a huge difference.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 22 August 2005 at 09:28 PM.]