| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's with the Sierra's?
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 4:47 pm    

On a whim I picked up a Sierra. The price was beyond good and I'm trying to figure why these are so undervalued? Probably one of the best instruments mechanically I've seen. A lot of innovation thought out and the tone (at least on mine) is fantastic. I put tone knobs on all of my guitars as I find that tremendously helps just about any guitar (Sierra has one plus some cool tapping and mid-boost circuits), but that's just me. I'm sure I'm rehashing old posts, but oh well I'm very happy to have a guitar that, by my estimation, should be worth in the thousands.
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:12 pm    

Im with you Chris , i cant figure out why either
Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 5:45 pm    

Imagine what we’d be playing now if Chuck Wright and Danny Shields were still around. I miss Sierra and Carter at NAMM. Ross-if you decide to display there, I’ll schlep your gear, set up and staff your booth pro bono. I can probably find other dealers to share a booth and $ too.
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2018 6:06 pm    

I picked up a Sierra recently too--It really is about as good as it gets mechanically, and I like the tone too. It has a very different tone from a wooden bodied guitar, but once I learned where to set my amp, It sounds great. Easy to work on, and it's a pleasure to work and play on a guitar designed and machined to such a high standard.

Mine is keyless, and I really like the long scale/keyless combination. The prices they're going for these days make them a real bargain in my estimation.

Dave
Joe Romanchick

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 3:03 am     Sierra

They are built like tanks, but I think they are very nice looking machines also..Here is mine..The modular pickup system is also a plus..I am a novice, but it is very easy and smooth to play....
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 4:43 am    

I've never played a Sierra guitar but in 2000 I watched Joe Wright get the most incredibly beautiful tone out of his...I'm sure that Joe was a big part of the sound...But I've been around long enough to recognize a great sounding guitar when I hear one.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:48 am    

I was reading through the old "Ask Buddy" pages in his website that Ernie Renn maintains, and he was asked about his opinion of Sierra Steels. He said he thought they had they best tone for C6 of any steel he had played.

I think weight is part of their problem. And the other might be the innovation - when it comes down to it, most pedal steelers are inherently conservative - look how many prefer 60's vintage Emmons and 70's vintage Sho-Buds! I play carbon-body MSAs - the new wood MSA's are suddenly the hot new item in the steel world, but the carbon ones, which are very limited and I think the best material possible for a pedal steel, are difficult to sell. I guess they think it is like tupperware or something. Yo-yo Ma plays a carbon cello - and believe me, the material that makes a cello is far more important sonically than what a pedal steel is made from! But steelers tend to avoid anything inovative, like the Alloy bodies of Sierra and Excel, and the carbon fiber of the Millenium.

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 6:04 am    

I was reading the older discussions on the forum, and someone mentioned that the guys also did not like the looks and mentioned the square legs as one of the things, but I think they look very nice and that is why I posted a picture of mine. I guess everyone has their likes and dislikes, but you just can't deny the fact that they are made extremely well....
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 7:19 am    

More about the square legs--The ability to adjust the height of all four legs to suit the player without having to either get longer legs or rig up some kind of extenders is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

On other guitars, I've needed to raise the standard height by an inch or so, and had to add extenders to the front legs and pedal rods. On my Sierra, I raised the legs about 3/4 inch (which fit me perfectly) and there was enough room on the threads of the pedal rods to extend them to match.

I think they look good too.

Dave
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 10:36 am    

I played a Sierra once & while mechanically it was built like the space shuttle, the tone was very blah. I too saw Joe Wright play at a steel convention in Lakeland a couple years ago & remember thinking while one of the best players on the planet, I wondered how much better he would sound on a PP or a Zum. His Sierra's tone was just not there. BTW the best tone of all the players that day was a local guy playing a Zum.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 11:26 am    

I've had 2 Sierras, both late 80s models - a 3+4 S-10 (in my avatar) and an 8+5 U-14. Both were "Crown" type models (as opposed to "Session", which was lighter), had Danny Shields 3-way pickups, were mechanically flawless, and sounded great.

I traded the S-10 after I got the U-14, and traded the U-14 for some guitars strictly because of the weight. It was a single-neck on a somewhat wider single-body, but still very heavy. I thought about a D-10, but didn't want to even think about the weight. If I saw a Session D-10, I'd give it a listen for sure.

I guess everybody's idea of tone is different. But I felt that my Sierras were very flexible, tonally, especially with the Shields 3-way pickup.

I also see people point out "nasally" video/sound Sierra clips where I am pretty confident that the pickup was in an out-of-phase humbucker setting that would have accounted for the tone. I can tell you that the tone on both of my Sierras was very present and full, the antithesis of nasally.

But you're correct - historically, they are generally under-valued. Old MSAs have the same issue, and I think the biggest reason for that is also weight. An old MSA Classic D10 is a total boat-anchor but a great playing, sounding, and affordable pedal steel.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 1:41 pm    

fantastic guitars....

Last edited by Damir Besic on 27 Mar 2018 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 3:31 pm    

There's something for everybody. I think about 95% of steelers are from the traditional mold. If it doesn't look like an Emmons or a Sho-Bud, they ain't gonna like it no matter how it sounds and plays. Add to that the keyless feature and you've lost most of 'em.

Hearing with the eyes again.

There's a ISGC video of Buddy playing It's the Water with Darrell McCall on that D10 Sierra that he spoke so highly of. I'll dig it up if anybody wants to see it and you can hear it for yourself. It's the guitar he played on many of the Church Street Station shows.

I've had a few Sierras, all Crown 25's, all SU14's, all keyless, all the goodies, triple range pups, tone controls, etc. I like 'em just fine. I'm not currently playing one, but that's just the way things worked out.

Who knows, my next one, if there is a next one, might be another Sierra.

Here's a couple of 'em.
#7117 Stafford Elegante 14SCMSE 8+7

#7177 Stafford Elegante 14 SCMSE 8+7 with arm actuated lever/bar

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 18 Mar 2018 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 3:55 pm    

Quote:
There's something for everybody.

Yup, and the bible of auto sales is its converse, "There's an ass for every seat." Smile
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 4:55 pm    

wish i still had my uni 12
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2018 5:23 pm    

Russell Adkins wrote:
wish i still had my uni 12

Me too.
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 5:08 am     Sierra Steels

I just went from playing my D-10 Crown Gearless to a GFI D-10 reason being the Sierra is just to damn heavy. They soung amazing but at the end of a night I want to kick it off stage.lol. the GFI is about 30-40 lbs lighter I'm guessing.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 5:28 am    

Seems a major weight complaint is focused on the "Crown" series.
Not much mention that the "Session" series is not any heavier than your basic other "popular" brands and in some cases actually lighter!
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 6:46 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
fantastic guitars....

Me likey!

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 1:57 pm     Re: Sierra Steels

Chuck Morel wrote:
I just went from playing my D-10 Crown Gearless to a GFI D-10 reason being the Sierra is just too damn heavy. They sound amazing but at the end of a night I want to kick it off stage, lol. the GFI is about 30-40 lbs lighter I'm guessing.

Aren't you glad you aren't a concert Pianist...

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2018 2:06 pm    

Pete Finney.

https://youtu.be/aLvY4USW-zw
Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2018 1:09 am     Buddy on his white Sierra.

Buddy playing at the 1990 ISGC on his white Sierra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5aOB5MzfMQ
Bill Bassett

Papamoa New Zealand
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 6:54 am     Sierra Olympic

I was drawn to an absolutely flawless, mint condition Sierra Olympic single 12 E-9 at the SWSGA show in Mesa this past January. Built in 1978 but you would never know it was 40. So I spent a couple of weeks rejiggering the copedent to suit me and I have installed it at my gig where it won't be subject to being moved around at all. I've been playing it now for a month or so and still find it a little quirky, a little too bright and somewhat unforgiving. Still fiddling with it, but it's clear my ham handed technique needs as much adjusting as the guitar itself. 'Tis a beautiful thing, black and gold and perfect.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2018 7:20 am    

Here is Buddy video "Triple Play" done on a Sierra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mGUk7CGraM