| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter U12 Coped, mechanics, etc.
Eric Lawrance

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 3:13 pm    

I recently bought a Carter U12 here on the forum (thanks Larry Phleger) and began my journey into the universal pedal steel world. My previous instrument is a D10 MSA SS and though I love the mojo it has, I really wanted to add the low register notes that U12 or Ex E9 afford. I rarely played the C6 neck but I feel like the Uni tuning might open the 6th tuning ideas up to me. So far I have enjoyed the switch. I am posting for some advice on dialing this new instrument in to work best for me.

First the copedent:

My first thought is to add a C# raise to string 12 on the A pedal. Is there any cons to this besides pedal stiffness? What might be other options to expand the A pedal funtion into the lower register?

Along the same line, I like the idea of a low register F# note on the C pedal. Any insight to the pros and cons of this, beyond stiffness. Better to raise the low E or lower the G#? What about a B-C# raise as well?

My MSA had a lever that lowered the D to a C#. I liked this and had been experimenting with it recently. Think unison to b7 note in the C# minor key (A pedal). It allows the low C# to ring while the high (and other low) C# are toggled to the b7. Good for a Fleetwood Mac "The Chain" style licks and other spacey stuff in a minor key. Any ideas on a way to incorporate something similar into this coped? Lower the E on another lever? I'm out of lowers there already....lol.

I'm still getting used to the vertical lever, but on this guitar, the lever itself tends to fall down unless sitting on my knee. Are there any good tricks to expanding the little bearing so it stays put? Other carter owners?

A quick question on pickups. I think this guitar has a True Tone pickup on it. I am a bit concerned that the single coil will be noisy when I take it to play live shows. Is this a big concern? I have read mixed reviews on this issue. My MSA has a 705 but I'm not sure I can get a 12 string version of that.

I'm sure I have more questions but this is enough out of me for now. Thanks in advance.
Eric
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 3:54 pm     Re: Carter U12 Coped, mechanics, etc.

Eric Lawrance wrote:
My first thought is to add a C# raise to string 12 on the A pedal.

You could, but then the full A/F chord is poorly voiced.

Instead lower 12 to A on the A pedal to give a full A/B chord, and lower 11 to C# on RKL (instead of raising it) to give a good A/F chord.
Eric Lawrance

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 4:14 pm     Re: Carter U12 Coped, mechanics, etc.

Ian Rae wrote:
Eric Lawrance wrote:
My first thought is to add a C# raise to string 12 on the A pedal.

You could, but then the full A/F chord is poorly voiced.

Instead lower 12 to A on the A pedal to give a full A/B chord, and lower 11 to C# on LKL (instead of raising it) to give a good A/F chord.

I see how these changes would work nicely for the major inversions, though I'm not certain what you mean by poorly voiced A/F chord as the Root-3-5-octave would be right there on the bottom. I am also thinking about the C#m chord as well. There are few options for getting the low root minor chords, compared to the maj chords.

You have me thinking now for sure...
Eric Lawrance

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2018 7:11 am    

Just another thought... I was looking at a way to save a lower on string 8. Looking at pedal 6: Why cant I release RKR and apply LKL to get this change and save an entire pedal. Is that 6 pedal change just there to more closely emulate the C6 moves?

Just noodling on the steel right now and the result is effectively the same, and it seems pretty easy to do physically.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2018 6:43 am     Re: Carter U12 Coped, mechanics, etc.

Eric Lawrance wrote:
I'm not certain what you mean by poorly voiced A/F chord as the Root-3-5-octave would be right there on the bottom.

I mean just that, that the 3rd is right there in the bottom octave and sounds muddy compared to an open fifth with a tenth on top. A small point, and perhaps a matter of taste.
Eric Lawrance

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2018 12:26 pm    

I see what you mean. Things can get muddy on those low strings. I still feel like I can skip the 3rd if needed. I'd trade that option to get the low minor root for sure.

I appreciate the insight.

Any thoughts on C pedal changes on the low strings?
Change to get the old D>C# unison note?