| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage One: Any way to adjust the tension of the knee levers?
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 9:23 pm    

On my Stage One (which I love!), I finally found a good seat height and position that works with my meaty, manly thighs and freakishly short legs.

But I keep triggering the RKR.

I don't want to move it further away, which Doug told me I can do by bending the lever a bit (I've done that already). I'd just like to make it a little less sensitive.....a little harder to trigger.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to make that happen. Some kind of kludge solution, maybe?

Thanks!
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 10:39 pm    

Alot of guys add helper springs to assist in moving a stiff knee, making it pull easier, so you could simply attach a spring pulling it in the other direction. You can find an assortment of springs at your local hardware store that have a hook on each end.

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 6:52 am    

I'm new and kind of ignorant, but I was having this problem at first. I found that angling my volume pedal toward my body about 15 degrees or so helped a lot to keep my right leg from wanting to press against the knee lever accidentally.

--Al Evans

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:49 am    

Tim Russell wrote:
Alot of guys add helper springs to assist in moving a stiff knee, making it pull easier, so you could simply attach a spring pulling it in the other direction. You can find an assortment of springs at your local hardware store that have a hook on each end.

The way I read his post (and I could be misunderstanding it) but he wants to add some tension to the knee lever so his knee/leg doesn't activate the lever when his knee is between the levers. Helper springs won't really help him as they would make it easier to activate the lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 11:50 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
...my meaty, manly thighs and freakishly short legs.

Maybe leave that off your dating profile. At least the 'freakishly short legs' part.

Actually, potential dates dig steel.

Not the steel player. Just steel. This would be a good time to say you were a drummer. With really long legs.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 12:03 pm    

See the highlighted spring attached to the RKR cross rod mechanism. I'd probably replace that spring with a stiffer one. That should give you more resistance.

Of course, I defer to Doug.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 12:17 pm    

Last edited by Fred Treece on 6 Mar 2018 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:43 pm    

I may be wrong, but it sounds like Jim just wants more slack in the knee lever so he would not hit it. Increase the travel in the knee lever and re-tune..............
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:46 pm    

Not more slack. I want it to be harder to move. I hope that makes sense?

Using a heavier spring sounds like an option. I guess I would just need to find a selection of compatible springs, and then readjust the changer?
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:50 pm    

Yes, it makes sense. I was adding that (slack), because you did not want to hit it. However, if a stiffer lever won't bother you, then the spring is the thing to do!

..............Pat
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 10:08 pm    

Pat Chong wrote:
I may be wrong, but it sounds like Jim just wants more slack in the knee lever so he would not hit it. Increase the travel in the knee lever and re-tune..............

So, let's say I did want to do what you're suggesting, Pat. How would I go about increasing the travel?

Thanks!
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 6:09 am    

Jim, you have a pull-release changer. The lever you want to adjust lowers string 2. The spring puts tension on the string so that it stays in tune when the lever is at rest. When you move the lever, you move the spring, which releases tension on the string, which lowers the note until the changer hits the screw at the end plate. I think the only way to add more tension to the lever is to use a stronger spring. If you change the spring, you shouldn't need to adjust anything else. You might be able to just stretch the spring by moving the mounting over some.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 7:33 am    

My bad!
I thought it was an all-pull system. It seems the spring is the thing to do.
You could increase the distance between levers by moving the inner lever more to the center. But that would involve redrilling for the mounts and stops and getting longer rods. It seems that Bill's suggestion is better.
.............Pat
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2018 3:11 pm    

Thanks, guys.