| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BOSS KATANA vs FOCUSRITE SCARLETT
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 6:00 pm    

Thinking about getting a new amp and/or recording device within the next year as I would like to start recording myself playing.

I really like the Boss Katana amps with USB connectivity. However, I read some folks discuss recording through their Focusrite Scarlett.

It's all Greek to me and so I come here asking for explanations in layman's terms. I have some amps already. If I use the Focusrite to record off my current amps, does that mean the amp has to have a direct out or line out?

Which is better for recording while I play.....going thru the Katana or the Focusrite. Is one way better than the other?

Feeling dazed and confused. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give.

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 7:33 pm    

To answer your question.

The Boss Katana does have a line out so if you want to record into the Focusrite you would be all set to go. I do this with my Boss Katana amp with good results.

The USB on the Boss Katana is for modifying patches and settings for the amp. It is not for recording.

If your amp does not have a direct out or line out you would need to mic your amp and run the mic into the Focusrite to get a signal to your computer.

There are lots of folks here on the forum that do record that way with great results and actually prefer using a mic on the amp rather than going direct. It all depends on what your preferences are.

Regards,

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 3:34 am    

I have a home recording studio.
The Katana is an amplifier, but its not a recording interface unit for your PC. You will need a recording interface unit, such as a Focusrite (or many other brands).
Two different "animals".

If you are going to get a recording interface unit, suggest you get one that has its own power supply. There are some entry level models that use power from the PC's USB port to power the recording interface unit. Many of these are iffy at best especially if you need phantom power (48VDC) for a condenser microphone. You also need to consider how many analog/preamp inputs you want on your recording interface unit. Also, some come with a (lite version) recording program and some do not. If you don't have a recording program or do not want a specific program then consider one that does give you an introductory version recording program (but be aware these are usually limited in the number of tracks).
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 3:43 am    

The Scarlett has an exceptional good quality ADC (analog to digital converter) and sounds really superb recording directly from the instrument with no DI box. I'm assuming you might want to re-amp the raw recorded signal afterwards. The provided phantom power and microphone direct in actually works at least as well as most specialized preamps. The caveats are as Jack mentioned, if you connect the Scarlett's outputs to another audio device you may hear lots of digital noise leaking into that second device. Also, generally any USB device like the Scarlett has lots of delay in any signal passing all the way through it. Luckily the Scarlett can be switched to monitor the input signal for no delay, but then you won't hear any sound coming from the PC.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2018 11:33 am    

I have Yamaha THR10C that I believe I can right into the computer via USB and then record into Audacity.

I also have some other amps, so with Direct Out and/or line out and then one I would have to mic. Those were the ones I was wondering about using Focusrite to record with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:11 am    

You may not be able to use more than one USB thing with "ASIO drivers" at a time. You will likely want to use ASIO drivers for low-latency monitoring.

That puts things in favor of a multi-input Scarlett-style interface if that's at issue.

Also - what Jack said - avoid USB bus-powered interfaces.

If cost is an issue, Behringer makes a complete complement of lower-priced interfaces - but make sure they offer ASIO drivers for them and make sure you can take/send it back if the ASIO drivers don't work on your setup. I have seen conflicting reports of issues with Behringer equipment this way. I have seen no issues ( on online fora ) with ASIO on Focusrite interfaces.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:28 am    

Just eyeballing the Focusrite Scarlett series on www.sweetwater.com, it seems as though all of the Scarlett series are USB powered??

Any recommendations for things not USB-powered?

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:57 am    

My backup unit is a Scarlett 6i6 and it has a power supply.

What is your budget? That would help to find a suitable unit.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 12:06 pm    

I was thinking of a budget about $150-200. I just want to be able to record my playing (as horrible as it may be) and then review it after the fact. Maybe the occasional post to a Forum I may be in.

I did have a look at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo manual and it did say that powering should not be a problem through the USB port. However, it did say if you were running the Scarlett through a laptop, then you should make sure the laptop is plugged into an electrical outlet.

I will be using this with a computer tower that is always plugged in.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 5:26 pm    

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and it does a sterling job -- I go directly from my Telonics PRE1000 - stereo feed into the two inputs on the Scarlett (wet and dry) --- connectivity to the PC is via USB and yes, it does provide the power to the unit as well.
It doesn't matter what recording software you use either, it's pretty much compatible with everything - well worth investigating.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2018 7:05 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and it does a sterling job -- I go directly from my Telonics PRE1000 - stereo feed into the two inputs on the Scarlett (wet and dry) --- connectivity to the PC is via USB and yes, it does provide the power to the unit as well.
It doesn't matter what recording software you use either, it's pretty much compatible with everything - well worth investigating.

Thanks for your reply. What do the Midi In and Midi Out "holes" in the back do? Do you use them?

What do you mean by "wet and dry" inputs?

Sorry for the questions but I'm BRAND NEW to recording and it's a lot to take in.

Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 12:14 am    

Quote:
Any recommendations for things not USB-powered?

There is Firewire which suffers to some extent what USB suffers. The best I/O now seems to be Thunderbolt.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/usb-firewire-thunderbolt-which-best-audio

But your PC/Mac has to have the right Intel chipset and the audio boxes are pricey. Latency is very good, back into the short times of serial I/O. You could, by the way, probably find an extremely satisfying box used such as an Echo Gina or Layla.
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2018 9:50 am    

Alot of multi-effects pedals have built in audio interfaces - for direct recording and amp simulation.

I love Boss. I use the Boss ME25.

Amp I use Vox 40VTX as they also offer a valve preamp and connect via USB and I have been saving custom presets on both to mimic

Emmons, Jernigan and Tom Morrell sounds - so smooth to crisp.

If you have either setup I am happy to send you some presets that you just load and it tunes/setups your amp for each option.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 2:28 pm    

Stephen I don't use the Midi in and outs at all.
Wet means that line has effects on it ...Dry is guitar signal only without any effects! I have my rack wired to give me that type of output !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 8:06 pm    

I've been trying to out-sneak some sort of awful high-end whine that shows up using Audacity as the primary recording program. I can sample it to delete but that eats up some tone too. All the advice I get so far is basically "stop being so cheap", AKA "Audacity: you get what you pay for."
Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 11:41 pm    

I use a Focusrite scarlett 8i8 and it works very well.

I use Reaper as a recording software or DAW (Digital audio workstation). Check it out at reaperfm. Not only is it very good, it is very stable and has a small imprint, it's cheap at $60 and best of all there is a fantastic friendly forum where you get help very quickly from the users. It's like the forum here. great bunch of helpful, friendly people.

Reaper can give Protools a run for it's money. it is not a toy.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 6:40 am    

Just started using Reaper here instead of Pro Tools. It works great.

Yesterday I had a friend come over and he wanted to start recording his steel to evaluate his progress. He bought the Focusrite 212 ( I think that is the correct number) and we installed Reaper. He has a Mac Laptop and we had him up and running in 15 minutes.

Took the line output of the Katana into the Focusrite and it sounded great. Clean and sweet.

Good Combo IMHO

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12