| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Use of Earphones Question
Bill Maynard

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 4:09 pm    

I had an interesting question put to me recently by a steeler who asked me if I knew of a way he could use earphones without the use of an amp that had earphone outlet. I said I did not know but with all of the technology in the world today, there could be the possibility of an earphone company who has the capability of a small internal amp that might accomadate this request. Has anyone figured out a way to use the PSG without an amp thru earphones and keep the practice session a quiet one for the player?
Let me know all of the details. Thanks...

Bill
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 5:19 pm    

From Scotty's Music online catalog http://www.scottysmusic.com/accesry2.htm

Practice Headphones
Signal Flex Instrument Practice Headphone Amp Plugs Directly Into Your Steel For Practice Or Private Listening.
Complete With Attached 30 Inch Instrument Cable. Volume Control, Headphones Included.

Item #HEAD01 $25.00

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 5:24 pm    

There are several companies that make sort of pocket, battery operated amps with earphones for guitar players. Steel Guitar Nashville use to sell one (maybe still does). In my experience they don't work well for a steel with a volume pedal, for the same reason that low watt guitar amps don't work for steel. We typically attack notes with the volume pedal backed off at least half way, and reserve the rest of the volume pedal for sustain. That means your amp needs to be at least twice as powerful, and the earphone amps I have tried just don't have that extra power. They are all solid state of course, and you end up playing with too much solid-state static. Some small digital processors like the POD XT have decent head phone jacks that work pretty well. Also, Behringer makes some inexpensive very small mixers that put out a decent headphone signal, and have the added advantage that you can play along with CDs and radio.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2005 8:16 pm    

I bought my Practice Headset, (SIGNAL~FLEX); from SGN. My purpose was to use it for tuning in noisey~places and on stage, if I ever get to one again!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 3:54 am    

I have Rolls MX 56 mini-mixer that I find invaluable. I think these aren't made anymore, but it looks like the Behringers (UB802?) do the same thing. Besides working as a headphone amp, you can play with CD's (as mentioned above), pull a line off your TV (mute it's speakers and invent your own soundtracks to football games), play along with a drum machine, use it to split your signal in case you don't like distortion through reverb or vice versa, but want them mixed at the end, use it for a balanced output to record into a computer (or anywhere else you might wish you had a volume knob and preamp on your steel), and probably a bunch of other stuff I've just never tried. Best $45 I ever spent on a musical accessory.
Ron Deardorff

Capitola, CA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 6:04 am    

I'm currently doing all my playing through an amp modeller patched into my mixer (with reverb), along with the rythym tracks I play to, all coming through my headphones. The whole shebang actually sounds quite authentic to my ears.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2005 12:45 pm    

My delay (Boss DD-20) has a headphone jack. Not real loud, but it'll work---and it's cheaper than buying one of those headphone amps.