| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Sidekick Tuning Problems
Kevin Cook

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2005 1:51 pm    

Greetings,

It was suggested that I repost this inquiry in this category for more specific responses.

I decided to learn this pedal steel guitar (MSA Sidekick) that has been sitting around the studio so we can add some simple steel tracks to some of our recordings. I am determined to learn it and have a beginner VHS tape to help me start. Tonight will be my fourth night on the instrument.

Everything was going fairly smooth until I decided to tweek the tuning a little(the pedals and lever). I have the owners manual and thought it would be no problem. I don't understand the instructions and the diagram that talks about adjusting the pedal stop screw. The more I tweek the worse it gets. It's so bad now that the 4th string doesn't even change when I work the knee lever. The 3rd pedal is only changing the pitch somewhere around a half step. Anybody here that would be kind enough to walk me through this procedure?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2005 8:44 pm    

Kevin,

You should be trying to tune the guitar from the right hand side, where the rod ends are sticking out, under the bridge. It sounds like you're trying to adjust the pedal itself. I belive that's only for height and travel, not tuning. You need to engage the pedal or lever, then look to the right on the guitar and see which rod is moving. Get the appropriate wrench, and twist the rod sharp or flat to get your desired tuning.

My apologies if I've underestimated what you know. Good luck!
John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2005 11:26 am    

Is this a SideKick or a SideKick ProAm?
Kevin Cook

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2005 12:40 am    

This just says "MSA Sidekick" in the owner's manual. The step that was throwing me off was this:

5. To tune pedal number 3 (strings 4 and 5) this procedure MUST be followed since string no. 4 both raises and lowers. Tune the RAISED pitch of string no. 5 by adjusting the pedal stop screw under the guitar using the wrench provided. Tune the RAISED pitch of string no. 4 using the tuning peg.

Release pedal no. 3 and retune the open pitch of string no. 4 by turning the knee lever return stop thumb screw under the guitar. The open pitch of string no. 5 has already been tuned.

Well I didn't have a wrench provided but it was just an allen set screw underneath the guitar. After I was able to loosen that and adjust string no. 5 so it would raise to C# (with the 3rd pedal) and match the C# I got when I pressed pedal no. 1, things started falling into place. It was a combination of the pedal stop screw, the D lever thumb screw, tuning peg, and the usual bridge adjusting screw.

I have a new set of strings on it now and feel like I know so much more about it. I never had even touched a pedal steel before a week ago. After about 20 hours, I was able to put down a very basic steel track and feel proud of it. Thank you all for your help and advice on this forum and through email.

Best Regards,
Kevin Cook
Kenneth Berrier

Mount Airy, NC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2005 5:51 pm    

John, you asked if it was a Sidekick or a Sidekick Pro Am. What is the difference? Thanks KB
John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2005 4:35 am    

The Sidekick used a pull-release type changer (think Maverick). The Pro-Am used the standard all-pull MSA changer and basically the same other mechanics.

Pro-Am's are rare compared with standard Sidekicks.

[This message was edited by John Fabian on 16 July 2005 at 05:36 AM.]