| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  History Derby 'Green' Pedal steel w/ mod'd ABC
William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 12:58 pm    

Well, with John B. help, its becoming apparrent to me unless i missed something, this Derby has been modified (maybe severely) but what confuses me is that it looks absolutely mint in terms of appearance and even plays and tunes. there are NO visible drilled holes, etc. on the under-carriage, BUT the player who did the Mod MAY have just filled the old drill original holes with wood putty and re-sprayed black. IF it was Mod'd why can it not be returned? i'm a engineer by a engineering education and 20 years with a day time job in that field, and yes it can. what bedomes the issue is cost?

does anyone have a Derby center brace (as i call it) they can get a photo of? i am not having much luck in getting any detials form Derby other than he built it for a guy who was giving it L. Green. i do wonder if Charlie made it with a special setup (and i would guess the answer is NO).

i MUST either move ABC one position to the right OR sell!!! nits EXTREMELY ADJUSTED so teh AB combos are easily used, but is still ackwar ankle move and slow. image your floor ABC starting at the farest left position (LKL aligned over B, not even between B and C).

i may have purchased a 'strange' Derby regaurdless of if it looks mint, tunes well, sounds great and even played good IF you don't use the A (release B) to get the 6m chord with your left knee 'sadled' between Lk's. imagine playing PSG without comfortly using that AB combo and the LK's?

i guess beauty is only skin deep, right? mint (absolutely perfect appearance and neatlooking unde-carriage)PSG % case, but strange set-up!

anyways . . . thanks for your help and your patience with this aging issue of mine.

who wants it? maybe for sell.

cheers,

Billy

------------------
William Johnson (Billy)
Grievous Angel Productions
Statesboro, GA. 30461 USA
http://www.grievousangelpro.com

Derby DBS10E9
Custom BillieTele Telecaster
Peavey NV400
Peavey TubeFex
Goodrich 7A

Please 'Mouse' to see larger photo.

http://usera.imagecave.com/GreivousAngelPro/derbyfront.JPG

Summer 1969

http://usera.imagecave.com/GreivousAngelPro/Billy1969.JPG
William Griffith

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 1:10 pm    

Hello, Just a suggestion maybe try the Day setup.Bill
Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 3:04 pm    

Billy, for me, if I liked the guitar I would put the setup on it that I wanted and was comfortable with. If you needed help I`m sure there are good mechanics on the forum. I keep my guitars looking new but it would not concern me leaving a few screw holes under the guitar in exchange for having the pedals/knees in a useable positions.
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Bobby Duncan

Pensacola, FL, USA (these days)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 3:35 pm    

Hey Billy,
I'm with Hook. I wouldn't hesitate to move the pedals over. Shouldn't be a big deal, I wouldn't think.
Best of luck to you, whichever you decide.
BD
Steve Hellerich

Canon City, CO USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 4:52 pm    

I can assure you that when i got the Guitar new from DERBY It had the Standard "EMMONS SETUP" Also When it was given to Lloyd it had that setup on it. Now I dont know who would want to change something that is used by more players than I can think of.
Derby as all the manufactures spend a great deal of money, time and effort to make sure Standard setups are comfortable for the players.
With that said If you need a SPECIAL Guitar
built I suggest you order one the way you need it! All the manufactures will be happy to accomadate you.(At a Price) Remember you get what you pay for.

[This message was edited by Steve Hellerich on 09 July 2005 at 05:58 PM.]

William Johnson

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 11:43 pm    

thanks Steve for the reply.

please understand i am not wanting a special PSG. i want one that is a standard Emmons, 3+5. that's what all my concern is about. everyone tells me per my desriptions and pictures of the under-carriage is that this Derby is NOT standard. i do not doubt that you last saw it as you desribed. no dispute entended. why you think i want a special PSG i am not sure as i DO NOT want aa special Derby. all 6 PSG i owned earlier including the wonderful ZUMM, were much easier to maintain the A while releasing the B to get to a 6m chord from a 4 chord. i do know that. several others including John B. who has studied my photos also say it is different from any Derby he has seen including the Derby he owns now.

you purchased this PSG new from Derby with a standard Emmons set-up. surely Mr. Green, only keeping it for short while, would not have mod'd the set-up this weird and really would not have changed anything. i agree.

anyone know who had it after Mr. Grren, ohjer than Banjomaster?

the Ebay Seller (banjomaster) was a very nice, polite banjo player who never had time to learn to play it. he even called me direct to ask if i had recieved it yet and if i was pleased. he purchased it used of course. the serial number he quoted is 0160. serial number makes sense? where is eh serial number on a Derby? i can't seem to find it???

also weird observations on this PSG:
1. appears to be very fine particle board OR very roughly planed if it is hard maple as advetised.
2. not covered in black felt, i.e spray painted black.
3. NO visible vaccant holes in under body where brackets etc. may have been moved from, unless filled with puuty and re-sprayed. OK, why not re-felt? maybe Derby's specs changed? how old may a Derby with SN 0160 be? were the bodies always hard maple? EVER sprayed with black paint instead of felt? interesting correct?
4. as i said, this damm PSG appears absolutely mint, but it baffled me. i am not great player, but also am not nieve as i have been around music, musical gear and all sorts of players thoughout by muscal life, so i have a handle perils of used gear, etc. i have owned 6 PSG, this being the 6th, from 1973 ro present, i.e. (2) Mavericks, Emmons LeGrande I, Seirra, a great ZUMM (i was a fool to sell it) and now this beautiful Derby and also by default, i have learned how to adjust and do basic set-up many PSGs. i have been in music since i was 14 (54 now) played for 10+ years in successful regional rock and country bands (opened for S. Wofle, Canned Heat, Ted Nuggent, IF, and yes the Allman Bros Band when they were all alive and started their set with 'Statesboro Blues' when played in Statesboro GA!), builded and ran 4 recording studios (still own one now) and still do live sound for national acts when they pass through Staesboro GA and around(Mavericks, Tracy Lawrence, Charlie Daniels, Marshal Tucker, Molly Hachet, parts of L Skynard, Sister Hazel, many Hip-Hop and Rap groups, etc.)and trying to get back into playing 'Cosmic American Music' (maybe with Chris Ethridge) with some of my old friends & pickers from my college days, with a electricala enginnering degree with 20 years in a day time job. not that this personal triva is important, but to illustrate that i am somewhat tuned to what to look out for in used and new gear.

any ideas or thoughts? anyone. post here or email direct or call collect.

this PSG advenmture has been a trip! i am learning quickly a lot of proper PSG terms and many nice & helpful players on this forum. thanks to all.

enough rambling . . .

later,

Billy

------------------
William Johnson (Billy)
Grievous Angel Productions
Statesboro, GA. 30461 USA
http://www.grievousangelpro.com

Derby DBS10E9
Custom BillieTele Telecaster
Peavey NV400
Peavey TubeFex
Goodrich 7A

Please 'Mouse' to see larger photo.

http://usera.imagecave.com/GreivousAngelPro/derbyfront.JPG

Summer 1969

http://usera.imagecave.com/GreivousAngelPro/Billy1969.JPG

[This message was edited by Billy T. Johnson on 10 July 2005 at 01:38 AM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 3:11 am    

Why such a hoo-ha over nothing?
With such a comprehensive cv, I'm amazed that you can't accomplish such a simple task as moving the pedals over one notch.
R B
Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 3:52 am    

It has become quiet apparent through your misguided and false accusations concerning the manufacture, quality, & warranty of Derby Steel that you have absolutely no intelligent idea what you're talking about. Personally, from what I've read thus far, I'm surprised you even knew how to get it out of the case. Enough is enough.
Although I am not the manufacturer, I do however, have a thorough knowledge of every aspect of Derby Steel's, as well as their warranties and product evaluations and your use of terms such as "particle board" & "wood putty", as well as your incorrect descriptions are becoming dangerously close to acts of liable. Are you familiar with the phrase, "quit while you're ahead"?

[This message was edited by Jerry Van Hoose on 10 July 2005 at 05:38 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 8:34 am    

Jerry's right. There have been too many posts on this topic. My advice is to send it back to Derby for repair. You're getting no solutions from the folks here, and some are perceiving a libelous undercurrent.

Anyone with other suggestions for a remedy should email Billy directly. Moving one pedal or knee lever shouldn't be a big deal on any used instrument. It certainly doesn't warrant as many "New Topics" as have been opened on the subject. I'm closing this right now.

------------------
Bobby Lee
-b0b- quasar@b0b.com
System Administrator
My Blog
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2005 8:46 am    

After many year's of different manufacture's( such as Emmon's, Carter,Mullen,GFI,MSA just to name a few) building steel guitar's it's apparent that there are not to many so called," bad guitar's", being built today. I recently bought my third Derby guitar. I have alway's found the workmanship to be first class. The mechanic's,appearance,and most importantly the sound,of the Derby is second to none. Charlie Stepp has many year's experience as a builder and I am very pleased with there guitar's. If I had not recently just bought a guitar I'd buy the "Green Derby", take it to my shop,if needed, make the necessary change's, and play it.It's really a simple solution.
Ron

------------------
D10 Laquer Derby,SD10 Black Laquer Derby,Peavy Session 2000, Peavy Nashville 1000, Profex II