| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG pedal
Gary Stiles

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 8:16 am    

I'm very new to PSG and gave a Carter Starter w/NS 112 that is great. I read a lot about volume pedals and understand that the needs of steel guitar is different than other applications but I'm using a Dunlop volume pedal w/500K pot that was advertised as suitable for steel guitar and as a 'newbie' it seems to work just fine to me. I've used other Dunlop pedals over 40 years with my standard electric guitars and found them to be fine. What is/are the difference(es) with the pedals made just for steel like the Goodrich and Hilton models? I'm just trying to get a better understanding. Any responses would be sincerely appreciated.

------------------
Gary Stiles
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 8:36 am    

Hey Gary.Try one,you'll see (and hear)the differences.Even the Goodrich 120 (the cheapest) is fabulous.Living in Tennessee,I'm sure you will easily find someone in the neighberhood who plays one.
Gary Stiles

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 9:11 am    

Thanks but I'd like to know exactly what the differences are that make the Goodrich and Hilton cost so much by comparison.

[This message was edited by Gary Stiles on 09 July 2005 at 10:17 AM.]

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 10:20 am    

The problem I found with the Dunlop pedal is the mechanism. The pedal that I owned employed a nylon ratchet which actuated a small sprocket that turned the pot on and off. Over a period of use, the ratchet teeth started to wear causing the ratchet to slip or on occasion completely overide the sprocket causing pedal failure.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 10:55 am    

Gary, the Hilton pedal does not use a potentiometer. It uses an infrared light beam and detector. The pedal travel moves a plexiglass panel which has a progressive shading on it. The shading allows a varying amount of infrared light to pass from the light to the detector. The pedal also has a high impedance preamp which does not load the pickup and cause a loss. The Hilton is equipped with a tone control, low limit and output level control.
Visit Hiltons website: www.hiltonelectronics.com
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 12:22 pm    

I'm sure there are other good pedals, but I also ended up with a Hilton. I don't know enough to complain about any other pedal as I'm a fairly new player also, I can only say that there is just such a nice even sound from the Hilton in every position and a very smooth physical feel when using it. Keith Hilton is also a fantastic person to deal with. I'm sure you can be happy with the one you have for now. You are doing the right thing though, to ask about and look into this. I also think you wouldn't look back if you ever did get a Hilton.

Bob P.
Gary Stiles

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2005 7:27 pm    

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and the information. It is sincerely appreciated!