| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lazy River Short Scale 8 string, SPECIAL THIS WEEK
Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2017 7:34 am    

Here's some photos of an 8 string 22.5" scale that I shipped off a few weeks ago. I started another one right after it that is about a month from completion. It looks exactly like the photos of the second one, because the woods are exactly the same and sequenced out of the same board. And I'll email some "in progress" pics to anyone interested.

This is a longwinded description.

I basically took my normal 25” Weiss and squished it about 1.5” from headstock to tailblock. Side to side decreased by about ½”. Also I increased the depth by about 1/4". Which seems to offer a more well-rounded and warmer response to the shorter scale.

I’ve included some photos of the first two, which are sold. The first bunch of photos show the top of the line model. Which includes instrument binding and fretboard binding and purfling.

The second batch of photos shows a “style 1” version.

Both styles include a Solid wood rosette with trim and 18-1 grover closed gear tuning machines, nice natural shellac and satin lacquer finish, bone nut and steel saddle. And you can get 6,7 or 8 strings.

Prices are starting at $1000. Since this is kind of a new one for me, I could really use some talented people to make a video or sound clip of it. Plus, I'm recovering from a back issue that set me back 3-4 weeks and I'm trying to catch up. I'm pretty back to normal for most of the day now. So I'm offering the next four at a little bit more of a discount. Email me for the discount. Probably be a 2 month turn around time.

I’m working on a couple of video and sound clips that I should have up soon. Unfortunately, for me, talent can’t be built by hand. But hopefully they’ll be somewhat useful.

Also, I’m currently working on a 27.5”, 25 and 22.5” set made out of bookmatched woods thru all three. Meaning that all three will be identical. Something new for me, but I think it’s going to be a real collection. These are intended to be sold as a set. Probably be around $3400. Can’t wait to get these finished.

Last edited by Rance White on 12 Dec 2017 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Former Member

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2017 6:27 am    

Photos?
I’m trying to figure out.. if you shortened the length, narrowed the sides, left the depth the same, how did you increase the interior volume?
Im looking for an 8 string spruce top 23-24 scale with rosewood deep body Weiss if that is possible, built for C6th.
Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 4:51 am    

Here's the photos I think. I've tried twice now.

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 5:04 am    

HAHA, about the sentence about the interior volume. I actually meant to go back and delete that while I was proofreading and our power went out, then I forgot. It's a little too mathematical for me to figure out. But I think the interior volume between my 25" and my new 22.5" would be about the same. Because the entire instrument is 1/4" deeper. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 5:22 am    

Hey Ron, I have an ancient set of rosewood in the shop. It's Indian rosewood, but it's old and from a really large tree. For me, rosewood is incredibly hard to find for weissenborns. Easy to find for guitars, but for weissenborn lengths it's almost impossible. about 10 years ago I was able to acquire a board that was cut right for instruments. I built 3 out of it and have one set left. I'll see if I can dig up some photos from the one I completed.

Also, I think it may be better to go a tad longer for the C6. maybe 23".Let men know what you think.

The last customer for the 22.5" tuned with a G9. Which was basically GBDGBD with but can't remember the extra 2 high strings. Sounded cool. I'll have the sound clip up today. I've been debating on whether to put it up or not. My recording setup is not very good and my playing is not very good either. So sometimes I think that posting sound clips that I've made myself could actually be detrimental. Anyway, thanks for the interest.