| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LKL in the way of AB to A roll
Graeme Smart

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 11:09 am    

I'm really jacked about moving from a Maverick (yeah, I know...) to a Derby 3x5. However, when I go to roll my foot from AB to only the A pedal, the LKL is pressed by my knee. I can't seem to roll without activating it. The LKL can be pushed forward, though, so that my knee can roll out without engaging it, and I can still reach for the lever when I need it. Is this acceptable technique, or should I be able to learn to make that roll without moving my knee? I've tried, and it seems hard/impossible...but...
Before someone responds with 'the right way is any way it works for you'--I'm not sure I believe that. For instance, I've only been playing six months, but I've forced myself to learn correct hand positions, etc, and I'm guessing there's a right way to handle this lever/pedal problem. I aim to get it!!
(BTW, the LKL can be adjusted forward and back and I've tried all the positions to no avail...so far! hahaha)
Thanks.
Grae
Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 11:52 am    

I think you should learn to do this without moving your knee too much. Do you wear boots or shoes with heels? I find that helps a lot.

Also you might try sitting a little farther to the right, somewhere between the 12th and 24th fret.

And maybe you can adjust the angle of the knee lever so it's not so close to your knee (look for a set screw up att he top). Good luck!
Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 12:03 pm    

Grae,

I had that problem also. But, mine was an easy solution. I hope you have as much luck, but it sounds like you've already explored. I have the set screw that Paul pointed out. I just put a little slack in the lever with the set screw and it was fine. Before I knew that, I fully expected to have to move the lever over a half an inch or something. Actually, before I found the set screw, I had moved the pedals over to the right a half an inch. Then I realized that the pedal rods looked whacked. It actually led to another problem I won't go into, so the rods are straight again.

Good luck, and when you find a solution, let us know.

Bob P.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 1:43 pm    

If you adjust your "A" pedal to where it is a bit higher than the "B" pedal, that should help a bit.

Lee, from South Texas
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 4:01 pm    

Position yourself farther to the right when you sit at your guitar. Then adjust the A pedal higher than the B pedal. Adjust the A pedal to a height that allows you to roll onto it and engage it as your knee almost touches the LKL. Center yourself approximately over the 15th fret.
DD
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 4:04 pm    

Not that you want to hear this, but it takes practice to get to where you don't move your knee much when rocking the pedals. Proper adjustment of the pedals and knee levers is important in helping with this. After enough practice, you should be able to rock without your knee moving hardly at all. I might recommend you sitting at your guitar and just try rocking your foot by bending only at the ankle. Hold your knee with your hands to keep it from moving if you have to. Don't try to play or do anything else while practicing this. Just concentrate. It worked for me and the students I have had in the past. Good luck. You will get it.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k, NV400
Graeme Smart

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 5:24 pm    

You guys are just GREAT! Dennis...I am already sitting squared up on the 15th fret...I think it was Maurice Anderson that said that somewhere. Lee...I was just sitting there a few minutes ago looking at my feet and thinking about how I've seen players with their A pedal a bit higher, and how this might be one of the reasons for it...thanks. And Richard, I DID want to hear it...it always helps to know that there is light at the end of the practice tunnel. I'm sure you're right--I just needed to know it.
Thanks again all.
grae
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2005 5:51 pm    

My tip to you sir...
If you ever get into a jam session and you don't know the song well enough to take a solo... Just "Coeur d'Long".

(I've been usin' that one since (part of) an early 80's tour went between Spokain, Wa. and Libby, Mt).
Sorry!

[This message was edited by Pete Burak on 17 June 2005 at 07:03 PM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2005 1:04 am    

Graeme;
I also play a Derby SD–10 with (3 & 5). I'm not sure which set~screw you were referring to on your LKL, however; are you aware that there is a set~screw visable only when the KL is in the folded~position? Turning this set~screw CW will move the KL away from the player. I'm a pretty large guy and I'm Raising my 4th str. (½-tone), but; my 8th str. Raises (1-tone) to F#, (twice the distance) with no problem. I sit behind my guitar with my Right-Leg pointing straight-forward under the guitar between the RKL & RKR. Is your (A)-Pedal in the 2nd. position on the pedal~bar? Positions 1,5,6,7,8,&9 should be empty. If yours is different, please e-mail me and I'll try to help you, with some pictures.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’49-’50 Fender T–8 Custom
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Graeme Smart

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2005 12:01 am    

Thanks John...
I had looked for the setscrew that Paul and Robert mentioned, and didn't see it, because as you said, it's hidden until the lever folds up. I do have some room to move it, and will do that as well as raise the A pedal a bit...yes, it's in the second position. I've already modified my foot/ankle move so that I'm not rolling my knee out like I was, and also have started utilizing the E raise. Nice! You guys were right...that needs to be right there and ready, not 'out of the way.' I'm havin' a blast with this new unit.
Thanks again.
grae
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2005 12:36 pm    

Reduce the travel of your pedals by altering the various rodding settings.
Pedal effort will become heavier, but excessive movement of your left knee will be eliminated.
R B
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2005 2:19 pm    

I have given this drill to students that had a problem with rocking. Put a tennis ball on the floor, put you left foot on top on the ball and without moving you knee, rock you foot to the left until the edge of you shoe touches the floor, back up to on top of the ball, then rock the right edge of your shoe until it touches the floor.
You can do this almost anyplace, in fact one student had a 1hr 15min ride to work in a van pool and this drill got him up and rocking with no problems in just a few day.
JE:-)>
Graeme Smart

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2005 12:21 pm    

Good idea...the tennis ball...will work on it...like I alluded to before, if you know that there's a way to practice/work to get someplace, it turns a problem into a challenge, then a solution.
Have done some adjusting of rods and levers (screws) and in the process learned a bit about how all this works. Thanks again for the input.
grae
Graeme Smart

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2005 6:37 am    

So yesterday I took everyone's advice and made some changes. First of all, I realized that the LKL had a stop-screw near the rear apron (closest to me)and had been traveling out to far, raising way past F. (When I bought the guitar, the lever was loose and could be pushed forward and back on the cross bar...I thought it was just adjustable, thus the comment in the earlier post.) So I tightened it down in the proper place, adjusted the hidden set-screw AND the stop screw so it hit F cleanly, then retuned both strings and changes. Now it's in the right place, in tune, and I've already learned to rock my foot A to B, B to A, etc. without engaging it. More practice to come! Learned a great deal from you all in the meantime.
One thing I'm not sure about...and not sure how to explain... When I was tuning the changes, on one it felt like I was getting really close to the 'end' of my ability to raise the pitch...felt like I was forcing it, and never like that feeling. Is there a way to loosen the string to provide more 'play' in the tuning capability? I see that there are hex nuts at the end of the strings, but I really don't want to start turning things without knowing...
grae