| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Loudest acoustic lapstyle guitar ?
Peter Henningsen

Aalborg, Denmark
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 8:55 am    

I have made an electric lapsteel, but as I play mostly with unamplified acoustic instruments, I would prefer an acoustic lap-style guitar. As steelguitars of any kind are very rare around here, I have no chance to compare the different types. What is your opinion on which type of instrument is the loudest - dobro, national, tricone, weissenborn ... ?

------------------
Peter Henningsen,
Denmark
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 9:36 am    

It really depends on what style of music you are playing..i.e. Hawaiian, bluegrass, Indian, African, Gospel, Jazz and the tuning...Majors, C6, # minors etc. BUT,I have found that a Spider Bridge, single cone Dobro type instrument is definitely the loudest with most versitility,(can sound good in other than Major tunings) a single cone National bisquit bridge style guitar is also very loud, but it's tone is pretty limited (IMHO) for blues and such...tri-cones are not as loud, but I find the tone more pleasing than a Dobro...and a Weissenborn is just a bit louder than say a small bodied Martin...but has the sweetest tone, but if you want LOUD, it's not for you...strickly speaking volume, I think Dobros are the loudest acoustic steels
Mike
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 5:18 pm    

Yep, exactly what Mike said.
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 9:41 am    

If you want loud, you've gotta try a new Melobro. I just got mine and it's got the baffle in it. Mercy. It almost hurts your ears! It cuts so well, that I can't wait for the summer bluegrass jams. It's definately a b@njo killer. Call Ted, he can give you all the tech.
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:11 am    

"World of difference" would be an understatement. The Melobro is brighter, cleaner and punchier than the Beard Flinthill I normally play. As to sustain, the 'Bro is extremely alive. I was playing it the other day, set it down and started talking to my lady. I noticed that just conversation set the cone in motion, and I could hear the whole guitar resonating! Really something, and worth the wait.