| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel Convention April 5-6, 2002
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2001 10:27 am    

Hey -- anyone going to the SSC next spring? The website is up. I see Robert Randolph will be there, and the Cambell Bros. Has anyone gone to either of the last two? This looks really interesting, and the best part (for those of us who live down this way) is that it's close to home!
http://www.sacredsteelconvention.com

TJW
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2001 11:08 am    

Is it me or do other folks think that Duane Alman's slide guitar playing sounds very similar to many of the Sacred Steelers non-pedal work?

Alman grew up in Georgia (not far from Florida). Did he hear these folks during his formative years?

------------------
Gerald Ross
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2001 1:01 pm    

I think the similarities between Duane Allman's work and Sacred Steelers is probably a result of listening to the same source material, rather than any crossover. Allman was teaching himself to play slide guitar during the time that the Allman Joys were kicking around Jacksonville, but I don't think he spent much time in church....
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2001 1:43 pm    

The Sacred Steel Convention is a great event for those interested alternative types of steel guitar music. Of course, I'm biased. You might search the Forum archives for comments by Dan Tyack, Paul Crawford, et al on last year's convention.

I think if you'll check the convention Website more closely, you'll see that the artists you named are "expected" or similar words. Expected, indeed, but I'm not so sure who is confirmed at this point. One of the great parts of this event is hearing "unknown" for the first time. Robert Randolph was among the unknowns in 2000. If you like this music, you'll love the convention.

I've been researching this tradition since 1992. As far as I know, the Allman Brothers were not aware of the House of God steelers and very few House of God steelers were aware of the Allmans. Robert Randolph and Chuck Campbell, for example, never heard of 'em until people started telling them that they sounded like the Allmans. The only one of them who ever mentioned the Allmans was the late Glenn Lee. Glenn played the Allman's Midnight Rider riff, which Robert Randolph picked up from him. If you are hearing more Allman Bros stuff among other House of God steelers, it likely came thhrough the same route. Of course the Allmans were influenced by black church music, but I'm pretty sure they never set foot inside a House of God church. Please let me know if you have knowledge to the contrary. I know the House of God steel tradition was all news to Derek Trucks (a big fan of Aubrey Ghent) and his father(or some other relative ?) was in the Allman Bros band, right?

To me, and most of the House of God steel guitarists, saying they sound like the Allman Brothers is a bit like saying all fiddling or banjo playing sounds alike. There is a tremendous variety among House of God steelers. The Church of the Living God, Jewell Dominion (a related black church where lap steel and wah pedal dominates) is yet another story.

Best,

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 09 November 2001 at 01:47 PM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2001 5:31 pm    

I am seriously considering going. It would be some amazing experience I'm sure.