| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter,,, copedent changes...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 12:46 pm    

I have some changes on my Carter S 10 5+5 that I am beginning to think of as redundant., I pull my 1st up a full tone... I use an E on my second string,and use it in conjunction with that first string pull CONSTANTLY...
Now, I also DROP my 3rd a full tone which is very much like that first string pull. I use it a lot, but I think I use it more as a "lick" pedal.

I also drop string 6 G# a full tone to F# on pedal 5. ..

These 3 pulls are the ONLY pulls on thier respective levers/pedals and it seems like a waste of "space" if you will.. I wonder if I could feel a half step on a pedal... I would like to drop the 6th string G# down a half on a step, then down a full...

I have heard that I would not be able to "feel" that half step on a pedal. I really hesitate to put the G#-F# lowers on a knee,because I have used them on pedals for 28 years... I am also thinking of adding the "Franklin pull" and am wondering if it behaves better on a pedal or a knee.

John Fabian has told me dropping BOTH G#'s a full tone on 1 pedal is another option, and wouldn't cause any problems... Looking at these changes, any ideas? bob
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 12:50 pm    

I would suggest that you set up your guitar with the set up that will enable you to play the music you prefer. Simple as that.

The steel is merely a tool or instument to express your musical ideas into music.

OR...if you just wasnt a bunch of levers pulling whatever..it can just be a "lick" maker as opposed to being a musical instrument...

Change to the set up you will need..

Good luck to you!

------------------
Tim Harr
Carter D-10 8/9 w/ BL-705s, Hilton pedal, PODxt, Webb 6-14E Amplifier, 65 Twin Reverb

http://groups.msn.com/TimHarrWebPage

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 May 2005 3:22 am    

I've got the FRANKLIN change on pedal #4 lowering 5,6 & 10 a whole tone. I play the Emmons set up. It would also work in the 0 position to the left of pedal #1. My D#(2nd string) I raise it a half tone to E on the same KL that raises string #1 to G#. This opens up some licks using 4,5&6 w/2nd string pull.
Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2005 7:52 pm    

Bob, I ran a 1/2 stop on my B pedal for a short period of time and took it off. Felt too much like it was a drag in the pedal and hard to adjust to feeling it.. I think it would get in the way of your fast picking.. Just my experience.

I don't like the idea of a "lick" pedal. If it doesn't work alone or with another pedal to create a chord I don't use it.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 2:34 am    

Bob, as Tim stated, it's really not about the mechanical connections but rather where these changes are that allow you to EXPRESS music on the fly..with minimum energy.

there is a ton of redundancy , on purpose...

thats a good thing....

Put the changes on your Steel that allow you to play what you play...think of these reduntant changes that raise or lower notes as part of scales to be played from different positions rather than part of chords...

think diminished scales and intervals...

and eat great NY Pizza in between practice ..
t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 26 May 2005 at 03:38 AM.]

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 4:09 am    

Tony my good friend... I live in UPSTATE NY.. dairy farms, 600 foot deep glacial lakes that are 40 miles long.. 8 months of winter... I am 250 miles from the nearest REAL slice of pizza. Up here, great pizza is Wonder bread with ketchup bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 26 May 2005 at 05:12 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 4:17 am    

well Bob, I would say that in the 4 GOOD months you have , you should be cutting , splitting and stacking wood ! You can practice during those other months !

you're right, forget the Pizza, I hope you've got a good woman.......

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 26 May 2005 at 05:18 AM.]

Fred Amendola

Lancaster, Pa.
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 4:57 am    

Hey Bob,
Just a couple thoughts. Instead of the Franklin pedal, I lower 6 a whole tone, LKV; and lower 5 a whole tone on P4. The split is nice yet you can use them together. Also, I'm reluctant to lower the 3rd string. I think the breakage issue worsens.
Just my 2c.
Fred
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2005 8:40 am    

Bob, I have 1st string F#-G#, 2nd sting D#-E, 6th string G#-F#, a second 6th string split rod, and C6 C-B all on RKL on my Mullen guitars, and also had it on several Carters, all of which played well and felt fine. I love those changes, for me they work well all on one lever.

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com