| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2nd string drop
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 6:11 pm    

I guess I forgot how to set this 2 step drop. everything worked fine till I changed strings (yes same guage) now I cant get the 2nd to drop all the way. if i turn it too far it starts going up.. I also drop it against the 9. 9 goes down 1/2 tone when the 2nd goes the last step. ?? In other words :2nd string goes down 1/2 tone first then should meet and go down one more 1/2 tone with the 9th. Skip
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 6:44 pm    

Skip sounds like you need to back off on the split tuner,(allen screw) for the 2nd string a tad.Just my first thought.........bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 15 May 2005 at 09:18 PM.]

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 7:38 pm    

Skip: Bobby may be right on. My Williams suddenly would not drop the 4th string 1/2 tone. Somehow the splitter screw had worked it's way in and would not let the finger work properly.

Another thought: Check the return spring. If it has too much tension, it will cause the finger to raise. Try loosening the spring a little. Good luck with your problem.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 8:28 pm    

What Jim Bob wrote about too much tension on a spring will cause the string to raise after it lowers so far..However since Skip has been playing this guitar for some time with no problem.Well, what I'm trying to say is.Springs get looser with age not tighter.
Not trying to take anything away from Jim's point or be a smart a$$. Just trying to save Skip a little work............bb
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 9:36 pm    

Thanks Bobby and Jim. its neither of these. First thing I checked was the split screw. The return spring has never been tightened so it should be loose if nothing else. I've backed out all the nylon tuners and compensators. I'm going back in there to try a cpl things again, thanks
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 2:08 am    

I wonder if it really is the same gauge. Could have been mis-packaged. Try another string of the gauge you use.
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 3:42 am    

Thanks Jack, will try that too. I'm tuned down to a D9 and never had to change string guages. I use a 15 which is usually what comes in a set but it might be wrong. also does a heavier or lighter string lower better
I'm gonna compare it to my other LGII and see what may be wrong since they're both set up the same. Maybe its in that mechanism that controls the 1/2 stop
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 6:02 pm    

Skip, didn't know you tuned down to D9.If you've checked the above mentioned.The only thing left is to increase the Knee lever travel just a tad. Or raise the pull rod in the bellcrank. Since you have 14 hole cranks. May I suggest raising the pull rod 2 holes.................bb
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 7:15 pm    

Thanks Bobby, will do that if I have the holes avail. I sure dont want to increase travel and Joe Turner thought a heavier string might do it also. When setting any strings , do you set the smallest guage for travel first or heaviest? I drop my 2nd till it is the same as the 9th and then they both go down together (or used to) Thanks again
Still wanna come down and hear your band since you wont play at Saluda! Skip
Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 2:35 am    

Guess what! it WAS the damn string! changed it to another 15 and no problem cheezz! thanks guys
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 18 May 2005 9:16 am    

Hi Skip:

Glad to see your problem was resolved. You may want to pick up a micrometer, digital or dial, to measure strings, etc. They are fairly inexpensive and useful for a variety of things.

Also, I read an article in GP magazine a while back with regard to strings being consistant. The article stated that some brands of plain strings could be off by .002 and the would strings could be off by .003 or more.

Lenny

PS: The Byrdland sounds sweeeeet