| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Been playing for 18 days!
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 7:32 pm    

This is day 18 of my PSG adventure. This thing is starting to make sense!

I've been working on it for at least an hour every day. Screeching slides, missing pedals, bad resonance from not muting the back strings, picking the wrong string, and generally seeing very little progress. Yesterday I broke my practice into 15 minute sets because it seemed like the long sessions weren't very productive. I picked through a piece once or twice and then did something else for a while. About the third session I was working on the Derailers "Play me the waltz of the angels" from tab, and the bar just fell into place. I found I was hitting the frets and pedals more reliably. My back string muting became more natural. I started thinking "My God! Maybe I can do this!"

I tried the same thing today. Once or twice through a piece and then do something else for a while. I believe I'm playing better than I was last night.

The kids are in bed. The wife is crouched in her lair. I'm gonna play another hour or so even if I have to do it acoustically.

Shazzam!
Charlie
Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2005 9:46 pm    

At 2 and 1/2 years i'm playing in 2 bands,,,i have days when most everything sounds pretty good,,,and some days when nothing sounds good,,,hang in there take it at your own pace and have fun,,and if you can get at least a few lessons to start you off right,,,,the forum is a great place,,everything about steel is on here somewhere,,,,

------------------
1977 Emmons SD10 push pull 3 and 4, 1990 ,Emmons Legrand II 8 and 4 Peavey LTD Peavey Session 400 Ibanez analog delay
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 5:11 am    

it is a great feeling when everything comes together; if just for a moment.
I have been behind PSG for 1 year now. some rewards some struggles;
it' s the journey. in my mind I am awesome.

[This message was edited by Randy Reeves on 16 May 2005 at 08:08 AM.]

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 6:07 am    

In 1979/80 I had played guitar for years and been playing steel for two weeks when I played it on the Wheeling Jamboree. The group was a quartet with a three peice band(bass, drums and guitar/steel). The guy in charge of the Jamboree came to me and asked to borrow my Sho-Bud Pro-1 to play with Billy Crash Craddock. The house band had an Emmons D-10. He played flawlessly. I didn't know him. It was Jerry Brightman. He contacted me through the Forum about the Hummingbird jams a few years ago and remembered that night. He was kind enough not to mension my playing.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 6:31 pm    

Charlie,
Nice to meet you and the other pickers at Judson's house. You give me hope, I finally got another book like the other one i lost and on my next work break i will give it another try. I may have to start taking the thing to the motels with me. I tried a tab in the book, but since i have never heard the melody, did not make much sense, tried another that i knew the melody, now that makes some sense, will practice more later. I tried pedals with out shoes, no way, I don't know how David Easley playes barefooted

Mike
Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 16 May 2005 8:29 pm    

Mike!

Good to hear from you!

I went out to Judson's that next Tuesday and he showed me some tricks. Wrote out a tab for a song he calls "Judson's Shuffle". It made sense while I was there, and I can't make heads or tails of it today.

I've been playing in Ropers, hiking boots and thin tennies (like Converse All Stars). Tennies have the most feel, ropers are OK (but you gotta know where you're at), and hiking boots are a no-go. I expect David Easley has gone barefoot most of his life.

If the road sends you back down this way, give me a shout and we'll jam, or go bar hopping, or both.

Charlie
Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2005 5:39 pm    

Charlie,

Looks like it is going to be TX for a while. We are pulling in wire and fiber cable in a new intermodal facility just south of Dallas. I am going to try to go by Carter on the way back home. Hope to get a sample to take home(HA).

Catch you later

Mike