| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Supro Lap Steel Opinions?
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2001 6:44 am    

Hi Gang

My FIL has a 6 string (legs?) black and white supro somewhere in storage. I remember it being in great shape when I saw it last. I'm practicing on my old magnatone for now and wondered if the Supro is a a major step up in quality and tone? The magnatone does have that cool single-coil Hawaiian tone, tho (to me)

Thx,

Bob
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2001 9:13 am    

It is my understanding, and limited experience, that some Magnatones have very nice tone. In general, Supros are regarded as second rate, both in quality and tone. I'm sure some will disagree. However, some like their dirty sound for rock and overdrive applications. Also, it seems common for Surpos to be weak on the bass end.

FIL must be father-in-law, eh? You had me wondering there. Maybe we should develop a LOAA (pronounced low-ah)--List Of Abbreviations and Acronyms).
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2001 9:43 am    

Dig it out and hang on to it.I have an 8-string,3 leg,black & white Supro Comet.I was tempted to sell it a while back and I'm glad I didn't - they sound lovely(reminiscent of a Ricky penguin)and they can scream when cranked.That's a Supro on the 1981 version of "Mercury Blues" by David Lindley.They may not have the cachet of Bigsbys,Fenders or Rickeys but Supros(and Magnatones)are very playable,toneful,affordable and many times beautiful steel guitars. -MJ-
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 12:30 am    

I have two of those: a six-string and an 8-string model.For the Lindley stuff they`re the best that I`ve found!I don`t use them for much else but I don`t see any reason why they wouldn`t work for hawaiian and swing as well.
Keep it!

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 6:23 am    

Hi Guys,
Got the Supro from my Father-In-Law (FIL)

Here is what it looks like: http://www.vintageinstruments.com/photos/inst6/cometful.jpg

1)No legs in the case. Anyway to find/fabricate them?

2) Output is lower than the Magnatone. The PU is pretty far from the high strings. Anyway to adjust the height?

3) What gauge strings for a 6 string, Cth non-pedal?

Thx!

Bob
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 9:58 am    

That looks like a Supro Jet Airliner (also called an Airline). If you give us the serial number we can tell you what year it was made.

1) Replacement legs are available but are very expensive. I believe this guitar uses the same legs as the Fender Stringmasters.
2) The pickup has six individual pole pieces which can be adjusted through the holes in the top of the pickup. You have to remove the pickup cover, of course. Use caution when adjusting the pickup - it's old and probably fragile.
3) The standard string gauge set for C6/Am7 tuning from Just Strings is from .016 to .046. John Pearse has a set that runs .016, .018, .022, .026, .032, .046 from treble to bass.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 10:57 am    

That's the exact same model I have - only mine has 8 strings.I saw one like it on a vintage guitar web site and they called it a Comet.Mine sounds best when I play it thru a clean pedal steel amp like a Peavey 400. Keep the guitar volume about halfway up and let the amp do the rest for a sweet tone or turn the guitar full up and cut the amp back for a more overdriven sound.
As far as the legs,the ones on mine are more lightweight than the ones on Fenders - which are just like the ones on pedal steels.The Supro legs don't have that mic stand twist cluch - they just have a simple thumb screw for leg length adjustments.Also,the threaded male leg fittings and the female sockets in the guitar body are of a somewhat smaller guage than the Fender - so they're NOT interchangable.I'd call Bobbe Seymor first.He might have legs AND sockets so in that case,you could switch everything out.If no joy there,then you could try surplus hardware warehouses-the kind you find in industrial parks around large airports.You might find the fittings in a place like that and then make the legs yourself.
Good luck.....
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 11:20 am    

Wow!

Thanks, Guys

Raising the pole pieces made it a whole new guitar!

Any rule of thumb how far the magnet should be from the string?

Also, what about using the heavier .16 to .54 strings?

Thanks again

Bob
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 5:28 pm    

That guitar should handle that string set just fine; I wouldn't want to tune a .054 string up to C myself (at least not while my face is anywhere near the string).

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2001 6:55 pm    

Bob: In general, you can turn the Supro pole pieces as high as you can without the lower strings bottoming out against them when you're playing in the upper register. I have an Airliner too, which I'm very fond of. The wrap-around pickup has great output, and perhaps the best sustain of any lap steel I've ever played. You'll have fun with yours. Personally, I think these instruments sound best in low D or a similar tuning, but they're fine with 6th tunings as well.