| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kohalo March - how many of you play it ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 8:58 am    

Ran across this on youtube today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omP64ejI8ws

I have heard Hilo March many times, but wasnt familiar with this one...ignorance on my part I am sure.

Kinda fun tho, anyone have a tab for it ?
Thanks
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Steve Atwood

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 2:56 pm    

Here's mine Larry:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=106123&highlight=kohala+march+tab

It's from this video of Jerry Byrd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0RvvAfcBtY

Check out the other Jerry/Marty videos posted by Basil if you haven't seen them.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 6:02 pm    

Very nice ! Thanks Jerry for posting that, I appreciate it a lot...not that I will be ever able to play it, but it will be fun to try !
Thanks again and also for the JB youtube,,,i had missed that one !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 6:15 pm    

Smart-ass kid!!!!!
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 2:08 pm    

Ironically, as much as I love Hawaiian steel guitar, I do not like the marches. I find them tedious listening. However, I do recognise the expertise.

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 3:46 pm    

David Matzenik wrote:
Ironically, as much as I love Hawaiian steel guitar, I do not like the marches. I find them tedious listening. However, I do recognise the expertise.

I understand what you are saying David...I wouldnt want a full dose of it, but one once in a while is kinda fun...would be more fun if I could play one of them well !!
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 5:32 pm    

The first march I learned was Kamiki March and I still play it once in a while. Trouble is, nobody knows the accompaniment unless I chart if for them. Actually as a solo is an eye catcher and my favourite.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:09 pm    

George, I have watched you play on youtube...great playing...I enjoy it !
David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 7:03 am    

David Matzenik wrote:

I guess I balance things by liking Hawaiian marches a lot!

They are some of my favorite instrumental Hawai'ian music.
Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2017 7:45 am    

Like David: I like Hawaiian March a LOT!
George: I typed into "Kamiki March" and did not get a hit. Any Chance You can send to some form.
I organize in folders and one is Hawaiian Marches.
Joe Elk[code Central Ohio[/code]
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 5:45 am    

Steve Atwood wrote:
Here's mine Larry:
Check out the other Jerry/Marty videos posted by Basil if you haven't seen them.

Steve, this tune has been going thru my head almost non-stop since you posted your tab...I appreciate you posting that...I have been working on it trying to learn to play...obviously I will never get to Jerrys level on it...but it is a fun tune and fun trying.

Takes me back to my high school days when I was learning to play Roy Clarks version of "Drifters Polka" on the 6 string...I never reached Roys level either but had a lot of fun with that tune..still play it actually.

I know that a polka and a march arent in the same style, but for some reason in my mind there is some similarity...fast tremelo type of playing I guess.

Anyway thanks Steve !!