| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  7000 Series Sho~Bud S/N Question
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 4:16 pm    

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. I own two fine Sho~Bud D-10's and they are BOTH 7000 enumerated guitars. 7035 and 7962.

What IS known about guitars in the "missing" file? I've posted in the "sticky" above, but wondered what folks know about this subject.

Could Jackson Steels be of any help? Has anyone ever tried to contact them regarding this elusive file mentioned in the S/N thread?
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 6:30 pm    

Rick,
I used to talk to Coop a lot before he passed. I think I recall him telling me that when Shobud got involved with Baldwin, they reserved a series of serial numbers for themselves. I think it was the 7,000 series? Not sure though.
JB
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 9:33 am    

Yeah, John, that does ring a bell. I think that's right.

Well, if 7035 is late 1966. 8110 is January of 1975, as per "page 11" of the S/N thread. I guess we could say there's a start.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 10:51 am    

Are your two D-10s Crossovers, Rick? The late '60s Baldwin era guitars were the 7xxx range. All of the Crossover-era guitars I've seen have 7xxx serial numbers.

I believe the "reserved" thing is an urban legend that someone started to explain the number gap in the early 70s. I've never seen any evidence to support it anyway. I have seen plenty of ordinary guitars from that late 60s era with 7xxx serials though.
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 10:53 am    

One is a Crossover and the other is a Professional.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 11:11 am    

Your Professional is a very early one, they "reset" the serial numbers to 1001 in March '71. That's the list that Gene Haugh posted on page 11 that you mentioned. So your #7962 would have been very close to that time, late '70 or very early '71.

Does the Professional have the wood neck that wraps around the changer like the Crossover, or is it the newer '70s style aluminum changer/pickup housing? They also transitioned from the ganged racks to ones that were individually mounted with L brackets around that time - which does yours have?

Maybe you can post a picture? I know there are a lot of Sho-Bud geeks here and it's always fun to see and fill in the "missing links"
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2017 11:51 am    

It was refurbished by James Morehead and Ricky Davis a few years ago. I just got it on May 25...my 47th birthday.

Sorry for the potato-camera photos.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 11:49 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
Your Professional is a very early one, they "reset" the serial numbers to 1001 in March '71. That's the list that Gene Haugh posted on page 11 that you mentioned. So your #7962 would have been very close to that time, late '70 or very early '71.

Thanks, Ian. I fully understand this now. I didn't "get it" when I read through it before. It's got to be a 1970.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 12:48 pm    

One interesting thing to note in Gene's list is the inclusion of serial #7000 in Jan '75. I wonder who has that guitar?

It appears they started with #7001 in the mid-'60s, jumped to #1001 in Mar '71, then skipped over those already-used numbers in Jan '75, jumping ahead from 7000 to 8110. Based on that I would theorize that in addition to numbers 7001-7999, which includes your guitar, serial numbers between 8000 and 8109 were probably used on guitars built after yours in '70-'71 too, before they switched numbering schemes.

I have yet to see any of those numbers to corroborate this notion, but I'm guessing those guitars are probably early R&B Professionals and 6139s/6140s. It's fun filling in the missing links on this as things like your thread pop up here. Michael Yahl started a "registry" list, perhaps he has info on some of those guitars between 8000 and 8109 and will chime in here as what model/era they are.

Here is Gene's serial number list: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1951049#1951049
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 2:06 pm    

It's my understanding - which may very well be wrong - is that the 7000 series steels are to be considered out of numerical sequence from the normal production serial number system.
Sort of a private stock, so to speak.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 2:09 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
It's my understanding - which may very well be wrong - is that the 7000 series steels are to be considered out of numerical sequence from the normal production serial number system.
Sort of a private stock, so to speak.
didn't read the rest of the thread I guess...
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2017 3:20 pm    

You're right, Ian... I just glossed over it.