| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adding an armrest
Dave Greene

Bellevue, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 10:13 am    

Advice needed on adding an armrest to a Fender Artist Student model 3P+1KB. Should the top be mounted level with the strings, level with the fretboard or at some other level. Suggested width of arm rest would be appreciated also (4"....6")?
John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:08 pm     Armrest

Don Blood .sterling ,ill. Donblood.com i think
John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:14 pm    

donblood.net...my apolgies....he does a fine job. I had one on my gfi..it was perfect..in form and function.
. Tthere us a pic of one. Hope that helps.
Thomas Floyd

Gilchrist, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 5:56 pm    

I just ordered one from Don Blood. I haven't got it yet. But I'm having him build it level with the fret board.

MSA S-10
Peter Graham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 5:57 pm    

Don't add one! You will get used to playing without one.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 12:54 am    

I know everyone calls it an armrest but are you guys actually resting your arm(s) on it wile you are playing?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:56 am    

Only when you are approaching 80. Whoa!
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:26 am    

Yes, do get one. It will prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:31 am    

Yes, do get one. It will prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:59 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
I know everyone calls it an armrest but are you guys actually resting your arm(s) on it wile you are playing?

Hard for me to see what else it would be for.

I've posted several times in the past the photo of Lloyd Green playing from Scotty's Anthology book, in which it can be clearly seen that he does have his right arm resting on the pad. I also think I can recall it being posted that Lloyd said he does rest the right arm, but not the left, on the pad while playing. Makes sense to me--as it happens, that's what I do, too (pretty much the only thing I have in common with Lloyd Green! Wink ).
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 12:25 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Jeff Mead wrote:

Hard for me to see what else it would be for.

The reason I asked was because I have read in several instruction books that neither arm or hand should rest anywhere.

I wondered if the reason for the SD10 was more to do with people finding it more comfortable to have the neck a bit further away?

Is resting on the pad a "bad habit" that many (most?) have picked up or is it now considered standard (good) practice.

As a S10 player this is all idle curiosity on my part.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:18 pm    

One could play with the neck farther away simply by sitting farther back from it.

But I wonder: It's probably safe to say that the majority of D-10 players spend more time on E9 than on C6, and the majority have the E9 on the front neck. Curley Chalker reversed the usual placement of the tunings, putting his preferred C6 tuning on the front neck. It seems there might be something to the comfort factor in playing a front neck of two. But is it distance only, or do the many who play D-10s let their arm(s) rest on, or touch, the back neck when playing the front neck? I know I do. And, to reference Lloyd again, it's been quoted that he said (perhaps at least half facetiously) that one reason he substituted a pad for the C6 neck was because, with 98% of his playing being on the front neck, the C6 strings were fraying the sleeves of his jacket.
And if players of his caliber let their arm(s) rest on the back neck, what sense does it make to say if it's a pad instead of a strung neck it's a no-no?
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:20 am    

Here is the proper use of a loafer pad:

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 4:55 am    

Here is a detail from a recent photo of Mr. Green.

He may do this from time to time, but notice the arm and wrist are straight.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 8:05 am    

My impression is that Lloyd probably rests his right arm on the pad more than "from time to time". But be that as it may, see his quote below. Here's the picture I referenced (found in Scotty's book, 1980), and the quote I referenced:

"As a point of fact, and although no one has asked me, I do NOT rest my left hand on the pad, only the right.
This idea of a padded steel was my idea of a more expedient and comfortable way to do my job of cutting records and what that idea became from that point on was largely out of my control. The euphemistic "Loafer", which came years later was Ron Lashley's Emmons guitar version of the Sho-Bud LDG.
I never suggest any player use single, double or anything else. Everyone must find their own comfort zone with playing and it serves no good purpose that I can see to criticize those who don't follow others concepts of right or wrong playing. Ultimately, you have to play music on the thing.

Regards,
Lloyd Green"
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:19 pm     Armrest

As most have said...Don Blood..made me one for a GFI..Supernice..mine was adjustable..so I could raise it or lower it to where I wanted..I think most of his are made that way..he asks for some measurements that gets you into the ballpark..but it is adjustable
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 7:50 pm     Adding An Arm Rest

I have put pads on two Steels. An MSA S10 and GFI S12.

With the long 12 key head on the old MSA I though why waste the space behind the key head. I carved out the wood and have a place I can lay my chrome bar and nylon DoBro bar end to end. The pad is a piece of wood covered with padding and Naga Hyde. It is attached to the guitar with Industrial Velcro. No Holes in the guitar.
On the GFI S12 with its small closer keys and longer bar could only get room for 1 bar and my picks.
Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 7:20 am     Rest Pad on a Sierra

After I had an LDG S10 Sho~Bud, I was hooked on that style Guitar. I put one on a Dekley once, it was a nice addition. Then all my guitars were SD10s. My LAST Guitar is another Sierra, but it happens to be an S10, so it was time to put a Rest Pad on... Another great addition.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:26 am    

When I ordered my Zum Encore and Doug offered the arm-rest option I declined. I thought - 'No reason for that - I don't need it.' But I came to regret that decision and I had Doug send me the parts to fit it myself (I didn't actually do it - I have a pal who's adept with drills and screwdrivers!)

Now I couldn't be happier. I do benefit from lightly anchoring my right arm on the pad (or on the C-neck on my D-10s) but I can't imagine any advantage to resting my left arm; too restrictive.

All this may speak volumes about my flawed technique but if it's good enough for Mr G. then I'm not worried.

Don Blood's unit looks excellent.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 12:34 pm    

I agree with Rodger about the "restrictive" comment. I have found the higher the armrest, the more it interferes with the sliding motion. Maybe Don could make just a right-arm-only rest.?????

..........Pat.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 3:26 pm    

For me the full-width arm-rest - just like the C neck on a D-10 - is just there. I don't rest my left arm but the rest isn't in the way.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 4:48 am    

Thomas Floyd wrote:
I'm having him build it level with the fret board.

Here is my (and Mike Perlowin's) mid-'70s MSA SD12.
I found the pad to be great, but it could have been lower. (I'm lazy; I liked it.)
A pad can be an arm rest, but it shouldn't be a wrist rest. The arms should be straight, supporting the wrists.

Old time piano teachers would whack your hand with a baton for resting your wrists on the keyslip, the board in front of the keys.
It promotes lazy playing--but I wanted to play Bill Evans and not Chopin.

I notice Mike traded up to a Milly, no arm rest.
Apparently, it doesn't affect his playing.
For some reason, I like something, more space between me and the E neck; brings the levers more into play, for me.

Gilchrist, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 6:29 am    

Charlie, it is my understanding that I will be able to adjust the hight, so I may want it lower than the fretboard and there will be a good distance away from the strings so I'm resting my forearm and not my wrist. Don Blood said he'll probably ship it next week, then I take pictures & post it here.

MSA S-10
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 9:54 am    

Yes, that's what I'd understood about Don Blood's. They look like the solution. Cool.
Certainly, it's possible that the height requirements sorta would change over time, what's comfortable.