| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Pickup
Sherman Stephens

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 4:20 pm    

Does anyone know why an Emmons pickup would look like this. Each magnet has holes to some degree in the center of the magnet, and some of the magnets are set deep as shown in the picture. I had the pickup off yesterday for an overall cleaning of the guitar, and noticed the magnets were flush and clean on the underneath side. The pick up works great, just can't figure out why it looks like this.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:04 pm    

If I had to take a guess (and that's all it is), I'd say someone had considered putting some kind of screws in each pole so The output of each string could be adjusted separately, kind of like a Telonics.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:56 pm    

Sherman, I do not know what it really is but I have seen it before in other pickups. My guess that it is in the making of the steel rod for the magnet. Perhaps it is an air pocket when they pour the rod. I just don't know. Maybe somebody in the know will jump in. But they always sounded good. Good Luck, J.R.

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 3:08 am    

Another guess; Since the poles appear to be counter sunk to varying degrees, could the marks have been caused by the use of some type of punch or nail set?
Sherman Stephens

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 4:46 am     Re: Emmons Pickup

I checked the poles again, this time with my glasses on, and it is metal imperfections in the center of the pole. Reminds me of imperfections in cast iron. Not sure what caused them. Since the poles are supposed to be the same length, and they are even on the underneath side, I can't figure out why some are shorter then the others on the face side. I would assume if they had been pecked down, the would be longer on the underneath side. Strange.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 7:12 am    

Maybe the pickup was assembled incorrectly with magnet imperfections on top instead of the bottom.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:20 pm    

Because they are centered, I assume they are not so clean remains of the cut off process in the lathe. The other side is so cleanly faced off it should have been on top.
Have these pickups been rebuilt?
Sherman Stephens

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 9:11 am     Re: Emmons Pickup

To my knowledge the pickup has not been rebuilt, but I cannot answer that assuredly. What ever the reason, if you look at the attached photo, the pickup is built this way on purpose. Magnets for string 1 and 10, flush, 2,3 and 8,9 countersunk to the same degree, 4 and 6 slightly less countersink and 5 and 7 flush.

[/img]
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 10:27 am    

Are you sure it's an Emmons pickup?
Sherman Stephens

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 10:49 am     Emmons pickup

Erv. No I am not sure. I am new to steel guitar and quite honestly never even thought of that possibility. The tone is absouletely super and I would not change that, but I had not seen a pickup set up this way before. Possibility that it is not an Emmons is a very good possibility that I had not considered.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 11:42 am    

Sherman,
It was just a suggestion, I have been around quite a few Emmons guitars and it doesn't look like anything I've been next to. Very Happy
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 8:52 pm    

I used to buy magnets in bulk from Miami Magnet Co. and some would come with these type imperfections. Although they were OK, I would discard them for cosmetic reasons. I have even had some with big chunks missing out of them.