| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hip replacement and pedal steel?
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 8:04 am    

Not sure where this should go, so mods, put it where it needs to.

I've recently had my right hip replaced, anterior procedure, and wondering if anyone else has had a hip replaced and any issues with using knee levers? Dislocation is my fear, as a friend, non player, recently had a hip replaced and did it at home, getting his foot stuck on a leg of a desk and dislocating his new hip OWWW!

Might be to wait a bit and to continue with therapies, strengthening before getting brave.

Thanks, Jerry
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 10:59 am    

A keyboard player friend of mine, who is also a physical therapist, has had both hips replaced. He has no problem working pedals, but I am sure the lateral movement involved with PSG knee levers would present some difficulties, especially right after surgery. Definitely discuss with your PT, and make sure he or she understands the movement. I will contact my buddy and see what he thinks.

In the meantime, you could probably keep busy with your pedals-only chops, and leave the knee levers up.
Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 11:49 am    

Had my right hip replaced last July. Before the replacement I had trouble engaging RKR… very painful. I understand that the bone should be fully grown into the implant at about 2 - 3 months.

And I have no restricted movements, however, my surgeon kept emphasizing “DO NOT FALL”. I do work out 3 days each week… cycle, elliptical, leg press, etc. without any concerns. I just try to be ever mindful and not do something stupid.

Anyone who has ever had this surgery will understand what an amazing procedure it is and you are literally walking the halls of the hospital the same day as surgery. I had the option of going home the same day as surgery but decided to stay one night and check out the dinner menu.

My RKR works great now. Smile

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 11:54 am    

I remember one thing he said, that it was 6 weeks after surgery before the leg and torso could form a 90 degree angle at the hip. So just sitting at the console is a pretty big deal. The lateral movement required to work the KL's is much more complicated. It probably depends on how the surgery was done and what type of replacement you have. Your PT or personal doctor should be your first source for advice, of course.
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 1:38 pm    

Thanks for the replies! Good suggestion Fred, about playing without those knee levers.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 9:19 pm    

Okay Jerry, here is the straight dope from my friend the physical therapist, whose name, ironically enough, is also Jerry:

"If he raised his stool to avoid 90 degrees at the hip he'd be ok. He can move his knees out away from midline but not inward to cross midline of the body. Clear as mud? My limitation for going past 90 was 6 weeks but every doc is different on restrictions. The life time no-no is combined flexion with addiction (crossing midline.) The hip can dislocate with this combination."
Bruce Bishop

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2017 11:37 pm     Hip Surgery

Jerry, not that I would know about hip replacement,but it seems to me that it would be better to use caution in your movements and not risk dislocation as that would be another injury that would need to heal,then it would be even longer to get back to where you were before the surgery.....

I would just work on my chops while healing from your surgery. Like mentioned in one of the above posts !

P.S. I'm with Jerry Jones on checking out the dinner menu, I Love Hospital food....lol unless of course you put a nice big steak in front of me with baked potato & salad ... wow now I'm hungry ...

Best wishes for your fast recovery Jerry !

Bruce
Tennessee
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 3:21 am    

I'm still trying to get out from the effects of the anesthesia. Feeling a bit hung over. The hospital I was in didn't impress me with the food, at least later night(Tuesday night). I went home Wednesday afternoon.

Fred, it sounds like your PT friend might be talking about people who have had an posterior procedure instead of anterior, which I had done. Either way, I've been mindful to try and keep my legs from crossing and to not let my right leg get too far behind my left or from vertical centerline.
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 6:01 am    

Hi Jerry,
I had a hip (anterior) replacement 5 years ago this month. No issues playing the pedal guitar. I took a little while for my brain to realize that the replaced hip is actually stronger than the other side. Therapy will help that. The first tendency is to favor the opposite side. Once your brain says this is not hurt anymore, you will be on your way to a strong and healthy hip. I run, ride bicycles, do whatever I want to do. You cannot cross your legs in the first 4-6 weeks. I hope you don't cross your legs when you play! If so you are probably getting chords I never even thought of! Shocked
Good luck! As we say in Texas.... don't be skeered.

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 2:38 pm    

I had right hip replaced (Anterior) in 2011. No problems playing PSG. With the procedure you had, there is less damage done to the muscles. The only problem that I have, is I can't quite get my foot up on the opposite leg to put my shoes on in the morning. The doctor said there was less chance of dislocation with the anterior approach. Keep up on the pain meds, and do your Physical Therapy. Of course you might have to hire a roady to carry your gear. The doc said limit lifting to 75 lbs ( with a MSA D-10 and a Session 400, yeh right), and no running. I wish you Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Chuck.