| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BMI String Slots
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 7:47 am    

I'm curious to know the proper way to seat the ball end of the string in the slot, when changing strings on a fairly new BMI pedal steel guitar. If I try to place the ball in the slot, with the holes facing forward and backward, the ball tends to slip to an angle in the slot, as if the slot is just a hair too wide. Is the ball supposed to be rotated 90 degrees, so the holes are now left/right?

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:11 am    

Lee, my Sierra has slots like that. I used to try to align the ball ends in the slots, but they wouldn't stay aligned. I finally just quit worrying about it. I no longer think it makes any difference, and in fact, I've never had a string break at the ball end on that instrument.

John
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 12:08 pm     mullen

my mullen has the slots I tried also to line ball ends up right to no avail....

so now I just let um be where they be so far no troubles

mike
Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 3:09 pm    

Lee both of the BMI, I've used I didn't have any trouble with. In fact the only strings I have broke in 7 or 8 yrs. Is accidently getting one of the bottom 4 crossed on tuner key's. Wes

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2017 8:12 pm     BMI Strring slots

Have never worked on a BMI steel. I have 1 D10 & 1 S10 MSA and a GFI S12 with string slots in the fingers. I always check the twisted end of the string and make sure it is not catching on the finger and pressure try to unwind it. On my S12 I have had to take a pair of pliers and bend the string loop with the brass button hole facing left and right, till it is straight down the side going into the slot. Especially on strings 9-10-11-12. I do this with 9-10 on my MSA's too. These big strings don't want to fit in the slot, And hook proper in the slot unless the button is adjusted to seat in the slot. When I gigged the MSA S10 I would run a nylon Upholstery thread through the hole in the button on strings on 3 & 5 and let them come out of the changer, and tied the ends together. This way I could get a broken end out quick and restring on stage. Guess I was just lazy.
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2017 4:55 am    

I doubt that it makes any difference if the ball is seated at an angle. There is no movement in that portion of the string once it is brought up to pitch. I'm curious to know how other BMI owners install strings, though.
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 6:58 am     BMI String Slot

Lee,
It doesn't make a difference as long as the ball is securely seated in the slot. Just get it in there and you will be fine,

Smile Dan
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 12:31 pm    

Dan - That's kinda what I thought; but, I wasn't sure. I've never broken a string on this guitar, so it probably just doesn't matter.

These guitars are a bit unconventional; but, are very easy to adjust and sound wonderful. And the price is right.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat