| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal cello guitar
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 8:08 pm    

I spent the afternoon with composer Stephen James Taylor, jamming and brainstorming ideas, to use pedal steel in his microtonal compositions. He is a film score composer who writes in every style, with a special interest the micro tonal harmony of Erv Wilson.

He printed out a 24 1/4" paper fingerboard, which I taped over my Williams 12. The scale is equal temperament 31 steps to the octave. He color coded notes he wanted us to favor.

I've heard Harry Parch concerts, and seen slide guitar used. On the way over today, I was not confident of my ability to play PSG and accurately nail microtonal pitches. But when someone is playing with you, it was easier than I expected. I stared intently at the fret lines, but your ear guides you to be in tune with the players around you.

Stephen has invented and commissioned a bevy of instruments to use in his music, both acoustic and electronic.

Here are photos of a pedal electric cello, with pitch pedals similar to PSG. It works on cables.
It has moveable bridges and fingerboards. The pedals raise and lower pitch to his specifications. He sometimes played it with an eBow.
Enjoy, john

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 10:12 am    

One of the interesting things about this pedal steel type instrument:

The pedals both raise and lower pitch. There a counter balance system to bring the pedal back to its midpoint. I don't know if this has been tried with pedal steel. Maybe it has to do with the cables vs rods,
J
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 10:33 am    

John Goux wrote:
The pedals both raise and lower pitch. There a counter balance system to bring the pedal back to its midpoint. I don't know if this has been tried with pedal steel. Maybe it has to do with the cables vs rods

Sounds/looks like a Pull/Release setup tailored for cables..?