| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro String Height
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2001 6:26 am    

i've got a great capo idea that i've used for years, and a recent innovation may make it universal enough to be marketable. variable string height of different dobros has always been one difficulty......would some of you measure the distance from the fretboard to the string at the nut and at the 12th fret so i can get an overall picture
of the variance i have to deal with.......squareneck dobros of any make would be what i'm mainly interested in.
thanx......chris
Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 3:57 am    

Chris; Would this be a slide under the string type of capo? A friend of mine has one and it works well.I think its made of brass,with a groove cut out to fit over the fret.It is shaped like a triangle with the point meeting the strings.I`ll measure mine up and let you know.
Tom
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2001 9:17 am    

tommy, that's exactly what i've made and used for years....now i have a good twist on it that may make it more universally adaptable. thnx
Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 8:23 am    

Chris; My Dobro measures 11/32 from the fretboard to the bottom of the string on the low side.Most should be pretty consistent with this.Please tell us more about this new capo. Thanks
Tom
Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 8:24 am    

By the way Chris mine is an F60 square neck.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2001 1:39 pm    

my dobro is a standard 1975 model 60 sq nk....some santa cruz surfer stripped the thick plastic finish off it(thank goodness) and sold it to me for $200 years ago...it sounds great...especially with the white bronze strings i just put on it! my string height is right about there also....though some friends' heights are taller. if someone near me (sacramento) had a CNC milling machine i could make an exact prototype so i could patent or protect it somehow and we could all have a very reasonably priced simple and effective capo. i have a kyser capo, but my idea works as well or better and much easier with one hand. i'll tell you more when i can get one perfected. feel free to e-mail me f someone can help.