| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dumb Noob question, however..
Clinton McColman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 8:19 am    

Hello to all! New to the forum, and to Steel Guitar in general. I have a Stage One being made for me straight away, which will be my first Steel. I'm pretty excited about the journey. At any rate.. to the question: I have seen lots of photos of instruments with adjustable front legs. The adjustable back legs I get..simple enough. But with the front of the instrument, isn't the height pretty much static due to the fact that the rods which are attached to the pedals are a fixed length?
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 8:26 am    

You are correct.Manufacturers use the same legs front and back so they will match.If you were to adjust them,it would cause the pedals to be higher and they would move downward when you pushed them.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 8:26 am    

Yes. If one desires to modify the height of the front, there are kits to extend the pedal rods and spacers for the legs.

Welcome to the forum and happy steel pickin' Exclamation
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 9:00 am    

Pedal rod extentions can be had for cheap. I paid $9 for ten of them. They're called hex standoffs.

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-hex-standoff-10-32/g/00096551/
Clinton McColman

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 11:53 am    

Ok, Thanks Gents. good to know.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2017 10:00 pm     Dumb nood question, however

Many steel guitars were built using legs made from a shaft similar to adjustable microphone stand shafts, In the early days of steel guitars. And are used yet today. If the clutch stops holding you have nothing but Night Mares. You can rebuild the clutch and hope. I have 2 MSA steels with adjustable front legs. (A lot of the adjustable front leg owners have put dowel rods in them and keep them from collapsing). Both of my MSA's have dowel rods in them so they do not collapse. The clutch adjustable legs are made with the inside and outside tubing made out of chrome plated steel. Heavy compared to the aluminum tubing legs some companies are using today. (GFI uses Aluminum tubing legs on the Ultra Series with adjustments in the bottom of the 2 back legs.}

I was at a friends shop the other day and he was working on a steel that some one had drilled holes through the inter tubes of the front legs and put bolts with nuts in them to keep the legs from collapsing. Dang ugly fix, But it had stopped the front legs from collapsing. We discussed cutting the legs off and putting dowel rods in them to make the legs look original.