| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bakelite Ricky?
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 11:22 am    

I've got the chance to maybe buy a 6-string Ricky - Don't yet know the age or the asking price - but it's a bakelite model. Just wondered what would happen if it ever got knocked or dropped - would it break in two?
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2001 12:15 pm    

In all likelyhood it WOULD break. Many have. The neck on Ricks are very prone to breakage. So be careful if you do buy it.

carl
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2001 8:43 pm    

Yes! If dropped on a hard surface, it will be damaged severely. I have dropped many bars, but never in my 58 years of playing have I ever dropped a steel guitar!
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2001 5:26 am    

A friend's three-year old daughter once tipped over his Model B when it was resting against a wall. The neck snapped off right at the contact point with the body. The break was razor-clean, and was able to be glued. Dropping a bakelite on a hard surface would likely either take out a large chip or crack the body clean through.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2001 1:34 pm    

Years ago Texan Wayne Tanner, aka Mr. Rickenbacker, dropped his pre-WWII Bakelite 7-string (rare as hens' teeth), which at the time was placed on a stand, while moving it across a stage. It promptly snapped in half where the neck joins the body. Ouch!! He glued it together and has been playing it ever since. He says you can't even see the glue joint. Bakelite, the steel guitar material of the future!

I got a good hard case made for my Bakelite six--no gig bags for my plastic baby.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:43 am    

I've seen one and previously owned one...that had broken clean at the NUT just prior to the first set of tuning pegs. It was a clean break and in both cases, the guitars were glued and now play and sound as good as new. Don't let others handle the guitar; or, pass it around among folks. It's much heavier than it looks; it's slippery than snot on a brass doorknob; and these factors make it a prime candidate for being dropped and BROKEN! It pays to be stingy.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2001 7:42 pm    

Snot on a brass doorknob ? (ha!)
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2001 12:34 pm    

If you decide against purchasing the Rick, DO LET ME KNOW.....I might be able to acquire it on your behalf....and enjoy it fully for the both of us. Okay?
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2001 6:59 am    

Wayne Tanner also owns a pre-WWII B6 that JB dropped and glued. I think it may be Wayne´s best sounding guitar. I also have a tape of JB playing it for Wayne before he´d bought it from him. It´s got it.
Even when I played it, Wayne smiled and said "there you go, there´s the moan".
Short, you gotta break´em in .

... J-D.