| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help Rodding an MSA please
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 12:28 pm    

I obtained one of the smaller D10 MSA "SS" guitars for flying and I want to rod the RKR to lower string 2 a half/whole tone and string 9 a half tone. It is triple raise/lower and has 4-hole bell cranks. I've timed it decently but if someone else could share how theirs is rodded I'd be grateful. If it still doesn't feel satisfactory I'll add a half-stop assembly.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 12:54 pm    

You may need to add a rod, going through a hole nearest the cross-shaft on the same bellcrank that lowers the 9th string, but going to a raise hole in the 9th string finger.

To tune it accurately, start lowering the 9th string (with the regular nylon tuner) at the exact same time that the 2nd string has dropped a semi-tone.

Now, keep moving the knee lever till it reaches its stop, and the 2nd string has dropped a full tone. You will probably notice that the 9th string has dropped too much, and is out of tune.
This is where the new rod comes in, just tighten its nylon tuner till the 9th string has only dropped a semitone.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 4:07 pm    

Marty,, having owned more MSA guitars than I can count, I will say this. Using the 9th string lower as a "feel stop" works and is usable, but the MSA guitars I have had with an adjustable half tone/full tone lowering assembly are so much better with this changer assembly.. Much more precise, and a better feel.. Only problem is space on the SS models.. They are pretty tight underneath.. Mike Yahl has the assemblies for MSA... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......