| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bass amp for steel vs Blues Jr
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 4:14 pm    

I am looking for an amp to leave at a second location, to cover pedal steel and electric guitar, and have had good luck with a recently retubed Fender Blues Jr. I have always preferred tubes.

Fender now makes the BJ in a tweed model, which has a different speaker. I went to GC to compare the 2 BJ amps, but they only have the Tweed in stock right now.
Maybe it was the guitar, but I wasn't that impressed with what I was hearing from that Tweed BJ.

I'd just read about some of you using bass amps for steel.

GC has the full line of "rumble reinvented" Fender bass amps in the room. I picked out a humbucker equipped jazz box to test, and plugged into the Rumble 100. I was very impressed with the headroom, and the expansive sound. Even though it is closed back the sound seems to spread. The controls were easy, the tone was very Fenderish. I had no problem adjusting the EQ to give and even response up and down the range of the guitar.
Then I picked the amp up, and was stunned by the weight. You can literally carry the amp with one finger. The list price is $299. It is barely larger than the Pro Jr, but a lot louder. 100 watts and a 12" speaker.
The next model down is a Rumble 40 with a 10" speaker. Same tone in a smaller package, with less oomph, but honestly it is probably enough. Same size as the BJ. $199.

These amps do not have reverb, so you would need a unit for ambience.(most of us have something). The amps have an overdrive circuit as well. I did not bother trying it.

This is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool tube amp user. I did not try it with OD boxes to see now it handles stomps.

I'm curious if any of you have used these Fender amps, or have opinions about bass amps for steel.

Thanks, John
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 4:42 pm    

Near the top of this page, a little right of center, is a link to the Forum "search". Go there and type in "bass amps". There's lots of prior threads on the subject. Personally, I like and use bass amps most of the time.
Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 4:52 pm    

I built a solid body bass guitar last summer. I picked up a Rumble 25 just to have a bass amp around for when I wanted to play my new bass.

At the price, speaker size and power rating I wasn't expecting much, but that amp turns out to be a great little workhorse. I added a Boss FRV-1 ('63 Fender Reverb) pedal for reverb and that combo sounds great with anything I throw at it. So it looks to me that the Rumble series, despite the name, might be some fine amps. YMMV.

If you pick one up, please let us know how it works out.

BTW, the stomp box cost more than the amp! Rolling Eyes Cool

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 5:55 pm    

Reverb pedals start around $120 and go up into the $200 range. Lotta faves around $150. So yes, they cost half again of what these amps do, but that is because the amps are so inexpensive.
I wasn't looking for cheapest. Or lightest. I was impressed by the sound, and wondered if you guys had used these amps for home or gigs.
J
BTW, forgot to mention the amps have gain and master knobs that seem to help saturation and reduce the sterile quality of some SS gear.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 11:03 am    

If you must have a combo amp, maybe consider the Carvin MB15. Very powerful and light, it sounds excellent, and has a reasonable price.

http://carvinaudio.com/products/mb15-micro-bass-amp-15-inch

You will need some external effects, like the other bass amps. I have used bass amps only for the past few years, both at home and for gigs. I have the GK MB200, Carvin BX500, Carvin BX250 and the Carvin MB15. I like them all. I have several different 12" or 15" speakers cabs. They all sound good to me, but I mostly use the Carvins.