| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is Moe Bandy's steel player?
John Parker

Golden Valley, Az. USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 1:11 am    

I have tickets to see Moe Bandy on Wednesday, 10/26, in Laughlin, Nv.

Who is his steel player?
Fender Steel King
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 8:51 am    

I met his steel player here in Nashville some time ago, but can't remember his name, very nice gentleman...you'll have fun...some real country music

https://youtu.be/DojIktijqiY

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 11:52 am    

I saw Moe about a year ago and John Clark was doubling on steel and fiddle. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Moe has always been one of my favorites. Get ready to hear some real country.

RC
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 12:40 pm    

Rick Campbell wrote:
I saw Moe about a year ago and John Clark was doubling on steel and fiddle. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Moe has always been one of my favorites. Get ready to hear some real country.

RC

Damn, if that's the case, Johnny has been with Moe for about 30 years! Detamore would know for sure; he was on steel when Johnny was the fiddler back in the day.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 6:40 pm     Moe Bandy Steeler

I believe that Steve Matlock is holding the chair with Moe, I saw him last year and it was a great show
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 7:22 pm    

John has left Moe a time or two, but AFAIK he is back with Moe. I joined Moe's band in 1982 and John came along about a year later. John did leave for about a year in 1991 to play with Clay Blaker.

The last time I saw Moe live he had Steve with him. That's been maybe a year and a half ago, but my bud Rick Campbell saw them since then and verified that John was back on steel.

John is a fine steel player who doubles on anything with strings on it very well. Truly a great musician and a nice guy.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 8:56 am    

Tommy you are right. John quit for a time to teach at a music store in Harrison, Arkansas. Steve was playing during this time. Last time I saw Moe John was playing. I really like John's playing on steel, it is so clean and tasteful. Also John is a great fiddle player. John and Steve both use my pedal.
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 10:34 am     moe steeler

back in the mid to late 70's Moe had a very fine steeler named Tommy Moran from the Mississippi gulf coast. He was also guitarist for Dr. John after that. Great talent and a great guy.
Billy
Carl Houtz

Central Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 12:56 pm     Moe Bandy

When I saw the Moe Bandy Show, it was John Clark on steel. We talked steel before the show. One fine steel player.

Carl
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 9:35 am    

We do a number of shows a year with Moe. John Clark has been with him nearly 2 years now, replacing Matlock. Doubles on fiddle....

Last edited by Danny Naccarato on 27 Oct 2016 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 4:40 am    

[/quote] back in the mid to late 70's Moe had a very fine steeler named Tommy Moran from the Mississippi gulf coast. He was also guitarist for Dr. John after that. Great talent and a great guy.

I noticed this post from Billy Tam about Tommy Moran playing for Moe. Tommy was an excellent steel player and was also Moe's band leader until he left Moe to open a music store in Mississippi. That was in the early 80's. I filled in for Tommy with Moe on a road trip to North Carolina while Tommy had nasal surgery. He was a great guy and a good friend. Shortly after Tommy left is when my old buddy Tommy Detamore joined Moe. Another great guy and great steelman. Does anyone know anything about Tommy Moran and how he is doing? I would appreciate knowing.
John Parker

Golden Valley, Az. USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 10:01 am    

John Clark is with Moe. I didn't get to talk to him though. What a great show, just wish it was longer. Moe's band did double duty playing for T.G. Sheppard and Moe.
Fender Steel King
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 9:01 am     Moe

Moe is one of my favorites

about all the artist of that time are as well

wouldn't it be nice to have REAL country music

again.....IMHO in main stream country

mike Very Happy
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 9:16 am    

Like Roy Peterman, I also remember Tommy Moran playing with Moe. In early 1978, Tommy and I got yelled at by Hank Snow while we were backstage, tuning-up and trading some licks at a theater in Meridian, Ms. Tommy was a great guy and player. I too, have wondered about how he is nowadays.

Roy, I always enjoyed visiting with you and hearing your great playing whenever we did shows together. I hope you're well man..!!

Our buddy, Tommy Detamore,,, nothin' wrong with him either. He's a "dang good horse" as a person and a player too.

I sure miss those good times back then. Although, I think the fact that I had to drive the bus so much may have been what got me through them alive..!!

Chris "Tiny" Olson
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 11:09 am    

Tommy Moran was a great player, and was "big shoes to fill" for me for sure. I had been in the band for a couple months, and we were at a party and the host put on a video of Moe's show from a few years prior. They showed a closeup of Tommy playing an intro to a song and Moe looked at me and said "now that's how I want you to do it." So for the next 6 years I did my best Smile !

I have heard from Tommy a few times over the years. He is on Facebook and is lookin' good!:

https://www.facebook.com/tommy.moran.96

Roy P. and Tiny O: I have such fond memories of those days, trying to keep up with what you guys were laying down. Glad we all stay in touch...

Someday I need to tell about the practical joke war between Roy and I that got totally out of hand... Shocked

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com