| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sleepwalk
Michael DeMartini

Santa Cruz, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 4:01 pm    

Hi all. Need your help. Help! Have a 6 string lap, tuned to C6th. Learning Sleepwalk in C. Maybe my music ear is off, but there seems to be a "conflict" between some of the notes I have learned on tab(s), and the guitar accompanying chords. For example, at the beginning of the song where the guitar plays C - Ami...then to Fmi. the Fmi seems to be conflict with the steel notes played. On the steel, The bottom of the 3 notes played on the steel playing 5 - 5 -5 frets, the lowest note is an A. Middle note is a D, and top note is an F. That is a Dmi chord. But the guitar chord is a Fmi. Those two when played together sounds off to me. And that was before my Martini. Appreciate your input.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 5:18 pm    

Michael, you're right. The into includes a Dm7, according to the original sheet music:
Tab:

C  Am  Fm  G7
C  Am  Dm7 G7

If that Dm7 is not there, and a Fm is there instead, it will clash with the notes that Santo played. Most bands and most steel players that I've heard do not play the Dm7. They play C, Am, Fm, G7 (2x) for the intro... same as the main body of the song. And they don't play the exact intro that Santo played. Over the years I've given up on trying to correct bands on stage, especially pickup bands, and I just go along with the program and play C, Am, Fm, G7 twice. But in my tab book and backing track I have the original intro with Dm7.

PS the original song is in the key of C#, but most bands play the song in C.
Michael DeMartini

Santa Cruz, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 8:15 pm    

Doug, thank you so much.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 8:22 pm    

Glad to help out.
Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2016 7:03 pm    

Nice - hadn't played that one in a while. Thanks for bringing it up!
Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 6:14 am    

The bass player is playing an "F" note on beat one of measure four. I play an F major chord there. Maybe it's a Dmi/F or an F6 chord? They're all the same thing.
I'm not hearing Dmi but that doesn't mean I'm right. My ears often play tricks on me.
Here's an audio file I edited. I tuned it to the key of key of "C" than enhanced the bass.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4pX2am-1ifyT1RYejR2NDc0YUE/view?usp=sharing

This is where we find the "Lost" Chord". Very Happy
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 7:53 am    

Either (F6 or Dm7) would work with the notes that Santo played, but Fm would certainly clash with the notes that Santo played at that point in the intro. Most bands play Fm there, unfortunately. I use Dm7 in my song book and backing track because that's what's in the original sheet music, published in 1959. But sometimes sheet music is not correct. It's often just the interpretation of the company's transcriber. Maybe we should ask Johnny Farina! He played guitar on the recording.
Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2016 8:06 am    

I don't trust published sheet music at all. I use it as a guide when learning a new song. I have found too many really big mistakes in published music to ever trust it.
In the end I always make a new chart with all the correct chords and melody from the standard recordings. I haven't used published sheet music in years.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 9:40 am    

Michael James wrote:
I don't trust published sheet music at all. I use it as a guide when learning a new song. I have found too many really big mistakes in published music to ever trust it.
In the end I always make a new chart with all the correct chords and melody from the standard recordings. I haven't used published sheet music in years.

As a jazz pianist, in addition to being a steeler, I whole heartedly agree about sheet music, especially the chords above the music. They are written for beginning guitarists/ukeists who can't handle barred chords. I often get the correct chords by reading the music, then using the techniques of jazz piano to flush the song out.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2016 9:58 am    

in the original version, S&J play in the intro:

I VIm IVm V
I VIm IV V

Like Doug said, but I think instead of the Dm7, it's a F6.