| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blues, Stay Away From Me
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:18 pm    

When Carl Dixon described Kayton Roberts Boo-Wah tone control effect on his rendition of Hank Snow's; I'm Movin' On, I got this song stuck in my head. And give credit where credit is due, Jody Carver had a part in it too, with his version of Wabash Blues from the Hotclub Of America album.

At first I thought it was by Red Foley because the steel work was Jerry Byrd's style but then I thought it might have been one of the songs the Late Paul Kallinger of XERF, Del Rio, Texas played. Might even have been by that guy selling harmonicas, Wayne Rainey.

So I called an old friend who has a better memory than I, but all he could come up with was the title and a few lyrics.

Anyone have any more information on it then what I have just mentioned ??

Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 14 August 2001 at 01:19 PM.]

Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 12:30 pm    

Paul:
I'm not sure just what song yo are talking about unless it's "Blues Stay Away From Me" which was recorded by the Delmore Brothers.

[This message was edited by Ric Nelson on 17 August 2001 at 06:19 AM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 3:45 pm    

Ric: That rings a bell ! Funny thing; the Delmore Brothers are in another thread in Music about just getting inducted into the HOF. Small wonder too !!

Now all I have to get straight is; who played the steel on the recording. I feel that it's going to be Jerry Byrd but I've been surprized before. There were a whole lot of players who admired Jerry and did their best to sound like him.

Best Regards, Paul
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2001 4:49 pm    

The Delmore Brothers tune is from around 1948 and features harmonica from memory.
It's a fairly bluesy number too, I think it's one earlier country boogie numbers, Hank Williams' 'Move It On Over' is another fave of mine, but there's probably dozens of obscure country boogie type numbers from that period.
Texan Gene O'Quinn is probably my favourite in the style.
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 5:30 am    

"Blues Stay Away From Me" was written by the Dellmore Brothers, Wayne Raney, and H.Glover.
It was recorded by them in Cincinnati, OH on May 6 1949 and released on King 803.
In addition to the Dellmores, Wayne Rainey played Harmonica and Zeke Turner played lead.
It has been rerelased on CD by King/Ace.
The CD has 20 songs on it and is called "Freight Train Boogie" (CDCH 455)
It was also recorded by Les Paul and Mary Ford.
I also have the Red Foley version....I always thought that JB played steel on that, but I don't have any documentation on it.
I'm a longtime Dellmore brothers fan.
Blake
Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 6:43 am    

That's a great CD, years ago it made the "Top Twenty" country records in a Guitar Player magazine poll. As for the tune - you can learn a great version from Cindy Cashdollar on her instruction tapes from Homespun. She teaches non-pedal in C6 on those.

Rob
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2001 11:04 am    

Typical of King records' tendency to have both country and r&b artists record songs on which the company held copyright, "Blues Stay Away from Me" was also recorded by Lonnie Johnson. This is perhaps my favorite example of all time of a tune which took on an entirely different, equally great identity in the cover version, although "Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me" (another King tune) is also a killer in both the Wayne Raney and Bull Moose Jackson versions.

I second Jason's recommendation of Gene O'Quinn. The Bear Family anthology gives a nice sample of his work, and includes some terrific playing by Speedy, Jimmy and co.

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 15 August 2001 at 12:07 PM.]