| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oiling Sho-Bud Fingers
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 2:40 pm    

When putting a couple of drops of machine oil on the fingers is it best to drop from the top or turn the guitar upside down and lube it from underneath? I've always been negligent about lubing and guess I'll see if it makes much difference.
Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2005 3:30 pm    

Scott,
Dont know witch is "best"but I will put a few drops from the top and the next time I happen to have it upside down, I will put a couple of drops on her as well....Cant hurt!We should probably ask Ricky Davis or Duane Mars or Bobbe Seymour or some other Sho~Bud Guru.They ARE the experts!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Fender Steelking,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

Duane Marrs

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 5:32 am    

Hi Scott, I've been using light weigth sewing machine oil or 3 & 1. They have a telescope type tube that helps to get in tight spots. Oil on the outside of the finger and in between the rollers, as the oil will deaden the strings. Turn the guitar over and oil any moving parts. The changer unit should be sprayed with silicon spray generously. Hope you are still enjoying your guitar. I enjoyed building that one a lot since it was a real disaster. Getting harder to keep up they are still pouring in from everywhere. Thanks, Jeff Surratt
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 8:38 pm    

Thanks Jeff. I'm using sewing machine oil. Didn't know I should spray with silicone (WD-40?) I'm sure enjoying playing this one too! It's an inspiration.
Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2005 8:56 pm    

Jeff Newman said a one time to change the oil ever so often,said take lighter fluid and wash it out,put a towel under it to catch all the junk that washed out.but i never could get the nerve to do it,i smoke and i could just see a boom!!!One spark,and there goes the guitar!!!! farris
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2005 10:19 am    

I use liquid wrench to clean the mechanism on my Emmons LeGrandeII, then 3&1 on the top and bottom, between the fingers. When lubing the top, I wiggle the fingers side-to-side. Although they don't move much, I can tell the oil works down between them because of the black gunk that coms out. I give er' a good wipe down and oil it some more. Afterwards I can sure tell a difference in the smoothness of play. My steel is 11yrs old now.
------------------
Thanks,
Wayne Baker
Emmons Legrande d-10, w/8&5, Nashville 400, Boss DD3.

[This message was edited by Wayne Baker on 28 January 2005 at 10:21 AM.]