| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho~Bud sound on my Excel?
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 2:29 am    

Hey all,

I've come to a point where i'm enjoying the sound of my old Sho~Bud more than my Excel Superb, especially for recording.
My predicament is the Bud isn't up to scratch. One day it may be but, then again the Excel is better for me to lug all over the world, easier to play, not as big etc.

Basically i love the sho~bud sound but want to try and retain my Excel sound too.

i've messaged a local pickup maker about having a surface pickup made to go in front of my original but, last night i was reading about coil tapping pickups and how some steel players seem to have 3 coil taps on there!!? I'm also not sure what Ohms both of these pickups are, i need to try and use a multimeter on them.
Any thoughts of my situation?

Cheers,
Chris Mr. Green
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 8:12 am    

I think you'll need more than a different pickup to make it sound like a Sho~Bud. Rolling Eyes
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 8:51 am    

Yeah i understand theres a lot more than the pickup in a sho~bud that makes that sound, lets say a more vintage sound rather than the more modern steel sound then.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 10:11 am    

Chris, I believe Dave Rowland up your way was using an Excel for a while, would be worth talking to him.Have not heard him on the excel, but on his Carter he got a great sound.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 11:05 am    

I bought the Jim Vest burnt orange Sho-Bud a while back. It came with a Bill Lawrence pickup and did not sound at all like a Sho-Bud! Bobbe then sold me a used and heavily beat up pickup off of a Sho-Bud LDG and I was in Sho-Bud heaven after mounting it on the E9th neck! So the right pickup can bet you a lot closer.

The other problem is that your volume pedal, cords, amp, effects, speaker aging, and many other things can also affect your sound greatly. But... the sound I am talking about is just plugging into a nice tube amp or maybe a Webb and just strumming the strings, The LDG pickup was immediately right where I wanted to be and what I had in mind when I think of a Sho-Bud sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Christopher Hillman

Manchester, UK
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 1:54 pm    

Thanks for letting me know Malcolm, I'll have to try and find him on the forum. Its a great guitar the Excel and i do love it, had it for nearly 5 years. Its quite a large warm sound but also has quite a bright top. Its really nicely made and set up... just a little tired of the sound now and i've been chasing my tail with it for nearly a year.

Greg, i believe your right, i've played a double neck in LA for a couple of sessions and the E9th was a Bill Lawrence (i think, a chrome edged pickup). It didnt have the best sound but, the C6th neck was original and amazing, So it can make a difference for sure. I'm using the same rig with both of my steels and the Sho~Bud has its 70s pickup in it too.

Just waiting to hear back from my pickup guy. I'm trying to make sure i dont get something made that will give me just the same sound as i already have haha!
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2016 2:33 am    

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply ...

There are more factors than a simple pickup change in the Shobud sound ...The Shobud is a single coil pickup ...If anybody can help you find the right single coil pickup for your Excel , my thought's would be to contact Jerry Wallace ....He deals in ONLY single coil pickups and I'm sure he can tell you what strength pickup to put in your Excel ....He rewound a Shobud LDG pickup with me with a coil tap and it had the Bud tone in spades !!.... Check him out ....Jim
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2016 6:56 am    

I maybe would give Show Pro a shout also. That guitar is patterned after Sho~Bud.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 12:55 am    

well the obvious other question,

Which Sho Bud are you wanting to sound like? Professional with racks, next series with two hole pullers and brass barrels, then two hole pullers without brass barrels and then the commonly called Super Pro systems with 5 hole pullers.

just thowin' it out there to mess things up Smile

The sound of each Steel is the SUM of all it's parts.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Palmer

Rossendale, UK
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 4:06 am    

Might be worth putting an old sho bud pickup on it just to see what difference it makes
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 5:22 am    

only Sho~Bud will sound like a Sho~Bud, no matter what you do...

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 11:03 am     PUs

Chris..I put a Telonics in both my ShoBud and my Excel....also put BL 710s in my road ShoBud and my road Excel....run both thru an ALESIS MIDIVERB4....equal balanced sounds....my new aluminium Excel is too bright fora Telonics but has a killer sound with a BL 710...Larry Very Happy

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 11:40 am    

Damir Besic wrote:

What about Jackson?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 1:25 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

What about Jackson?

Mike, I had Jackson Blackjack and Bobbe's D10 ... they are great guitars no doubt, and they have a great tone, but if i was looking for the "Sho~Bud" tone, I would get a Sho~Bud, for whatever reason, Sho~Buds have a distinctive tone, and as soon as you sit behind the Sho~Bud you can feel, and hear that Sho~Bud zing, for some reason they feel, and sound unique ...IMHO