| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen Questions .....
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 2:17 pm    

For you guys and gals that play or have played Mullen Pedal Steels a few questions .....I have been interested in Mullen Pedal Steels since I have owned so many different brands of Pedal Steel but have never owned a Mullen ....

1) I see that the RP was made quite a bit differently than the Pre RP steel so I'm sure that the tone was a bit different on the RP ..How much diffent was the tone, and what was added or taken away from the tone ?

2) What makes the G2 so much better than an RP ? ..Does the RP and the G2 sound similar ? ....

3) Are there more raises and lowers on the G2 as compared to the RP ? .....

4) What would you say is the biggest difference between the G2 and the RP ? .....

5) Does a Truetone Single COil sound better than a stock Mullen single coil on either the G2 or the RP ?

I ask these questions because I'm wondering if I would be just as happy with an RP as I would with a G2 ....Thanks to all of you in advance for your info ...Sincerely , Jim
Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 4:11 pm    

James there are a few differences in the RP and G2. The main difference is split tuning. I have never played a RP but I was faced with the same decision just a few months ago. My thoughts were that I don't have the money to purchase a new steel every year or so. I decided to just go ahead and get the top dog now.

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 6:40 pm    

I prefer the RP, all Mullen products are the whip.
VERY solid and dependable and the sound is amazing.
JB
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2016 8:16 pm    

I have a Mullen D-10 HWP. It never EVER goes out of tune, and it is much easier to play in tune than my LeGrande D-10. Almost seems like I can't play it OUT of tune. The pedal & knee lever action is very easy & precise. It sounds brighter than most steels; possibly because I believe it has a 24" scale vs 24 & 1/4 scale, although I could be wrong. I wish it had a little more bottom end, but that is easily rectified with a pickup change on the E9. It has a great tone, but it works better in smaller clubs. For large venues I play my LeGrande. Has a tad more bottom end punch.

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2016 11:49 am    

Thanks for the replies guys ....Can anyone tell me if the G2 sounds more full than then RP , or are they about the same ....From what Rich is saying , and from others , I have heard that the HWP model is a bit briter sounding , but I have not heard anyone speak of the tonal differences between the RP and the G2 ...Thanks again guys ....Jim
Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2016 12:17 pm    

James, check with Mike Mantey. He should be the most qualified person to answer all of your Mullen questions.Very Happy
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4495

Last edited by Jerry Berger on 31 Jul 2016 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2016 12:40 pm    

Thanks Jerry ...Much appreciated ....Jim
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 6:04 pm    

I'll do my best to sum this up.
My last steel was a 2013 Mullen RP sd10.
I loved that steel and would have kept it if I could have afforded to and still pay for my G2.
It took some getting used to My G2 after playing the Rp for a few years. I had to adjust all my Lever positions and what not to fit it to me. A few added pulls made my knees feel a bit different too but thats to be expected.
Anyhow....
1. The G2 has Split Tuning screws at the changer end of the guitar( where as the RP has to utilize an extra rod to get a tunable split)

2. The wood cabinet is thicker, at least on the aprons of the G2 (Rp has thinner aprons.

3.The G2 utilizes bent cross shafts which contour to the different deck heights of a Double framed guitar. This allows Mullen to use the same changer on Both E9th necks and C6th necks without modification.(RP has normal straight cross shafts, and 2 different changers on D10 guitars)

4.The G2 has a giant "Honey Comb" finger stop. This aids in resonance as well as "precision Alignment" of Pull rods.
5.The G2 has new Pedal linkages as well as pedal stops.
6. G2 has Polished aluminum Changer fingers (RP has Black anodized steel fingers)
7.New pedal spacing to allow a 9th pedal.

IM Sure I am missing some things. Check with Mike Mantey and he can get you straightened out.
All that being said. I love the G2 . It has clarity above the 12th fret that I have yet to hear any other guitars achieve.
Regardless , you can't go wrong with either.
Thanks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 6:41 pm    

Jeff is right on the last one. I can definitely tell a difference when playing above the 12th fret. Its like night and day compared to my ShoBud.

Branson MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 8:48 pm    

There was also a question about the single coil pickups. In my opinion, there's not a better single coil pickup than a Mullen, JMHO.
Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 7:26 am    

Well I guess I need to clarify a few things. Jeff had a few things that I should clarify. The RP has hard black anodized Aluminum changer rollers. The G2 has hardened polished aluminum ones.
The changer is the same on RP for both necks, but it creates a 1/4" offset to the cross rods, not a big deal but it was something we wanted to fix, so we designed the bent cross rod to take care of that. The wood is also the same thickness on both models.
So in summary on tone... The G2 was designed to have a very balanced tone from top to bottom and from end to end. It has much better note separation and my best guess is about 50% more sustain. There are many factors for this. It was designed to give a strong presence and power all the way up and down the neck, but shows a great improvement over the 12th fret. The chiming and Hughy land is quite amazing on the G2. Now the RP does have a lot of these qualities as well, but the G2 just takes it up a notch. Both are extremely reliable and play great. I hope this helps, and I can answer any direct questions anyone may have. I'll also attach a sheet I made up for the Mullen Features.

Mullen G2 Features

• All Quality Hard Rock Maple Body
• 24 ¼” Scale
• Triple Raise/Triple Lower Changer
• Split Tuning in the Changer (all strings)
• Super Precision Aluminum Changer
• Highly Polished Hardened Changer Rollers
• No-break Changer String Slot (catches broken string end; no pin)
• Polished-Chrome Plated Steel Endplates (over 30 year mirror finish)
• Neutral Changer Stop Position with adjustable stops on all Knees and Pedals
• Adjustable Knee Lever Tilt/Angle
• Custom Wound Mullen Pickups with Adjustable mounting plate
• Solid Construction complete with 6061 Aircraft Aluminum
• Made, Designed, and Engineered in Our Own Shop in the USA
• Easy, Clutter-Free Undercarriage, with Removable Bell cranks, Cross rods, and other Components.
• Easy to Maintain and Change Setups
• Adjustable Return Springs with Raise Assist
• Adjustable Chrome Legs
• Hand Crafted Lacquer and Mica Bodies Made In-House with Computer Technology
• Highly Polished Trim and Components
• High Tolerance Brass Nut Rollers
• Ball Bearing Bushings in the Undercarriage
• Sleek Body Design
• No Castings or Pot Metal
• No Slip Hex Cross Rod System
• Floating Undercarriage (will adjust to different humidity changes)
• Rock Solid Stops
• Numbered Hook and Quick Ball Joint Disconnect Pedal Rod System
• Quick Slide Pedal Bar Attachments
• Over 40 Years in Business, Family Owned and Operated, and hoping for over 40 more years.
• Most of All Precision and Tone!

Items in red are G2 only features.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 7:50 am    

Embarassed Thanks mike

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 7:59 am    

No worries buddy.....
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 6:32 pm     Mullen

What ohms are the single pu's wound to? Thanks.
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 11:40 am    

Thanks Mike ....Very helpful ...Jim
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 6:13 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
Thanks Mike ....Very helpful ...Jim

James,
Whichever you choose you will get the best steel made today bar none. Also, a huge plus, unmentioned as yet, is with a Mullen, Mike Mantee and staff provide the most top notch, unparalleled customer service and support in the business. I bought a '95 pre RP and any time I've had a question Mike has answered promptly and knowledgably. Super support and both the RP and G2 are creme de la creme. My '95 plays easier and smoother than any steel I've ever seen bar the G2 I played at the Dallas show. Can't go wrong with Mullen!
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 12:31 pm     Re: Mullen Questions .....

James Quackenbush wrote:
I ask these questions because I'm wondering if I would be just as happy with an RP as I would with a G2 ....

you will be happy with any Mullen you buy...I know that

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 3:19 pm    

I own both RPs and G2s and can't imagine how anyone would not be happy playing a Mullen.
Adam Moritz

Cedar Rapids, IA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 4:42 pm    

dern.... reading this thread makes me want another guitar....
Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 5:43 pm    

If I was ordering new I'd just spend a bit extra and get the G2
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!