| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Very 1st Steel Guitar Video
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 3:33 pm    

Well sort of. Years ago, I did a steel guitar video when Mike Neer graciously offered to do a free evaluation of my playing, but I'm not counting that one.

In this video, I'm doing "Harbor Lights" in the key of D on my J.R. Burns 8-string lap steel. My friend Doug McCullough is playing his Collings acoustic guitar in standard tuning.

I must be crazy to post this thing in from of all you great steel players, but if posting will help me get better, I guess I will post from time to time.

I know my intonation, blocking, and vibrato need much work, but all in all, I feel ok about it.

Anyway, thanks for watching. Please let me know what you think. Your comments are definitely appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19kjK-3gFVk

Again, thanks for watching.

Tony L.
Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 4:29 pm    

I like it . . Smile

Thanks for sharing Tony . . Cool
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2016 4:50 pm    

Cool. Intonation sounds pretty good to me.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 4:09 am    

Very nice Tony. That's one of my favorite songs.

Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 4:56 am    

I like it. One of my favorite songs.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 7:09 am    

Sounds good, Tony. Good intonation, accurate picking. My only suggestion would be to play with more vibrato on the sustained notes. Vibrato will make the song come alive and "sing" more. Also, not to be hyper-critical, but I think your presentation would be better if you sit up straighter. You look a little uncomfortable bent over and staring down at the steel. I would sit up more and face the viewers. It just looks more natural and confident. All in all, very good playing. You have all the tools you need!
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2016 7:14 am    

Very good
Kirk Francis

Laupahoehoe
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:10 am    

bravo, brother!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 4:51 am    

Good job, Tony. Keep playing it until you don't have to think about it anymore. And thanks to the rhythm guitar player.

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 6:14 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Also, not to be hyper-critical, but I think your presentation would be better if you sit up straighter. You look a little uncomfortable bent over and staring down at the steel.

Interesting that you mention this. I had band practice yesterday, and halfway through I realized I was slouched over similarly, and even a bit lazily cocked to the side (playing a console). I then forced myself to sit up taller and straighter and it seemed to relieve some stress I didn't even realize had built up, and I seemed to have a better 'bird's-eye view" of the fretboard which helped my overall playing. All the little things that go into getting better...

Also, Tony, this sounded great! Keep up the good work!
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 7:13 am    

Thanks for all the responses. I got so much education & enjoyment out of all of them. 'So much to think about. Doug, you mentioned my lack of vibrato. After watching the video, I know that you are so right. The weird thing is that I work on vibrato daily, but when I shot the video, the vibrato went bye bye. I think that's because I'm still thinking about all the elements (vibrato, blocking, etcetera.) of my playing. Those elements are not natural yet. Like Mike Neer said, I have to do it so much that don't have to think about it. I'm definitely (and obviously) not there yet. As for my posture, that is something else I will certainly work on and always have worked on. That's a tough one for me because I was born with scoliosis. I can sit straight but I definitely have to think about it. I've been doing a daily workout to strengthen the muscles in my back, so I hope those workouts will eventually lead to better posture, and by extension better playing.

Thanks again for watching and commenting.
Tony L.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 9:40 am    

Tony, I can't really add to the other comments except to say that you are definitely going in the right direction and all those aspects of playing will come with time. Know the song so well you can make it sing. You're on the path!

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2016 8:49 pm    

Tony, you're doing good. As others have said, the more you play, the more comfortable it will become. You already have the most important ingredients: good intonation, solid picking, and a positive attitude.
Tony Lombardo

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 5:49 am    

Someone from this forum emailed and asked about the amp I used on this video. I'm playing through the only amp I own: a mid 80s Polytone Mini Brute II. I go pretty heavy on the treble in terms of my settings, and I routinely turn the reverb off.