| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weight of Emmons PP vs Emmons Lg lll
Danny Blizzard

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 5:46 pm    

Always thought the Emmons PP was much heavier than Emmons Lg lll but I was wrong. I put both on the scales. Only 2 lbs different in the two
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2016 9:10 pm     weight

learn something new every day or so!

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 1:01 am    

that 1/2 inch less width of the PP is easily worth 2 lbs ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 5:46 am    

2 lbs is a lot of difference when you are 72 years old and I can really tell the difference when picking one up. I haven't weighed it but my SKH LeGrand seems much lighter than my push pull. I don't put guitars in cases unless I'm going on a long trip to play so I can tell quite a bit of difference between the two just guitar alone.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 6:08 am    

It also depends on how much hardware you have under the hood...(this one stays home)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 7:26 am    

What about a Henway? Whoa!
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 11:02 am    

I have 3 P/Ps at the moment, and when hauling them around I noticed that the weights seemed quite a bit different. So I weighed all three, fully assembled out of the case and got this:

'69 Fatback - 50.8 lbs.
'66 Bolt-on - 44.2 lbs.
'67 Bolt-on - 41.8 lbs.

I guess you'd expect the fatback to be heavier with more cabinet, but I really didn't expect it to be that much. I gig the '67 mostly, and with lightweight legs it's less than 40 lbs. Smile
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 11:52 am    

Bill: I've heard that sometime in the later part of the 60s Emmons changed the pedal stop on the front apron from maple to steel. I wonder if that accounts for a good portion of the increased weight of the 69 Fatback. Also, wonder if all three of those steels have the same number of floor pedals and knee levers. Seems like the weights are pretty significantly different.

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 12:11 pm    

Paul, all three of these have the maple pedal stop, and all are 8x4 except the '66, which is 8x5 with a vertical.

I got kind of curious when I weighed them, and did a little bit of investigation to see what differences I could find.

- The endplates on the bolt-ons are slightly less thickness, there's a little variance but on average it's 5/32" on the bolt-ons vs 7/32" on the fatback. That might be a fairly significant part of the difference.
- The bell cranks on the bolt-ons are slightly thicker 1/8" vs 3/32", and there are even 3 extra bell cranks on the '67 that are just 'spare parts'. So that's not a factor.
- Bodies are all the same thickness. Pedal racks are all the same, with wide pedals on wide spacing.

There just doesn't seem to be much left to account for the difference other than the wood density itself maybe? I recently sold a '72 fatback that was also a fairly heavy guitar, but I didn't weigh it.

That's nearly 10 lbs. difference heaviest to lightest. I would never have dreamed that two P/Ps could be that far apart.

Sorry Danny! didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 12:17 pm    

Thanks Bill: After posting I saw elsewhere that the steel pedal stop bar was added in 1970 so that does not explain the weight differences.

Also, I don't think this is really hi-jacking the thread because it's significant to the discussion that there is a large variation in the weight of push-pulls, which is something I didn't know.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 12:33 pm    

And are we to assume that all planks of maple weigh the same? Certainly that could be a measurable component. And I'd bet that back in the day, weight consistency wasn't on the forefront of the minds of the builders.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 12:43 pm    

Quote:
And are we to assume that all planks of maple weigh the same? Certainly that could be a measurable component.

That has to be it Herb, although I've been very reluctant to disassemble the guitars to be able to confirm that theory. Smile

I'm reminded that I've owned a lot of Teles, and they've also been all over the map weight-wise. To be honest, of these guitars the '67 is my favorite, there is something throaty and more resonant. I can't say whether it's due to the weight difference or not.
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 1:09 pm    

I didn't realize myself that there could be that much difference in the weight of three similar guitars. I think Herb is correct though that weight consistency wasn't even a factor back in the 60's. Weight isn't a factor for me in purchasing a guitar unless it's just out of the ball park. I have a friend that has a D-10 MSA that I couldn't play because I can't pick it up, Shocked

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 5:45 pm    

The 10 polished knee lever Emmons picture that Jeff posted use to be mine. The late Bryan Adams a former employee of Emmons built that guitar originally for himself. There is a video on YouTube of me playing "Just one Time" and "Welcome to my World" on that guitar. It is a 1971 model.
At the same time that I purchased the PP from Larry Jenkins widow I also purchased Walter Haynes LeGrande lll from his widow. The LeGrande lll was 8/6 the 71 PP was 8/10. I had them side by side in my studio and the loaded push pull although physically smaller was a good 3 or 4 lbs. heavier than the LeGrande lll although I never weighed them you could really feel it when you picked them both up one after the other. Lots of metal in a loaded push pull but with normal 8/4 push pulls I'm sure the LeGrande would be heavier.