| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hand cramps!!
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 9:18 am    

I have bad hand cramps in my bar hand after playing for a while. I was wondering if the cramps are caused more by playing the E9 or the C6. I ask this because the C6 neck is closer and makes for different posture and ergonomics.

I'd like to hear people's feedback on this. I heard people once say that my posture isn't right or I'm holding the bar too right. I don't know how one can hold the bar loosely and still have good control
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 9:25 am    

If you're holding your shoulders too tight, there will be tightness in the hand as well.
Let the arms hang some, and the elbows will come in, an indicator of less tension (as in muscle holding).
Lessened tension will provide better feedback in the hands for readjusting the grip unconsciously.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 10:20 am    

I posted a topic concerning bar and pick exercises. Various exercises to help with strengthening your hands.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 2:25 pm    

Set the rear of the guitar so that the wrist neither dips nor humps as it goes from arm to hand.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 4:25 pm    

'ya gotta learn to be completely relaxed with your hand and finger positions. Being tensed or tight will cause cramps, early on, and could lead to more serious problems later.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 7:21 pm    

Ben,
How long have you been playing? I remember early on, I used to cramp up. (left hand) With time and maybe just practice, in my case anyway, it just goes away.
Maybe one just learns, as mentioned, to relax. RP

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2016 8:39 pm    

Keep some bananas in your pack seat
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2016 3:46 am    

Well I've been playin for 17 years but I've been away from it and don't play as often. I will try to adjust the rear legs to get it leveled so my hands are as least bent as possible like Lane suggested
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2016 3:38 pm    

Some people have a problem with popping pills, but I keep a vial of Naproxen in my pack-a-seat and usually pop one before a gig. If I don't, I tend to get a cramp in the bar hand before a four hour gig is over; if I pop the pill, it seems to alleviate that problem.
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2016 4:11 pm    

Or potassium salts, you can take them 10 at a time (no toxic dose) unless your kidneys aren't working as they should. They work really quick. I suffer leg cramps at the drop of a hat, I eat bananas and take salts a lot (my kidneys are good)
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/
Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 1:09 am    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:

...and the smell coming from that will take your mind off the cramps.... Laughing

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 5:02 am    

Ben, holding the bar relaxed is essential to playing in tune and getting a good tone. Think of a violin bow. If a player grips the bow hard nothing but a horrible scraping sound and cramps.

I worked with Charlton and Joe Wright for days on only my left hand holding the bar. I also checked with Jimmy Day. He showed me how his hand was relaxed and loose yet in complete control of the bar.

Gripping the bar too hard is a big problem for steel players that is often ignored.

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:41 am    

You might notice that it's pretty much impossible to get a bar slant to sound right if your left hand isn't relaxed. And when you do it right, it's like a magic trick.

Terry Crisp seems to have a very relaxed bar hand when playing. You can hear it when he takes a break on a ballad.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:53 am    

I find if the bar is slippery I tend to grip harder, which is bad. So I wash my bar and hands often, and never use any lotions on my hands anytime before playing. Same for finger picks.

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 12:32 pm    

A while back some one posted about taking a teaspoon of mustard for a cramp. It seems to help. It might have went away on it's own.
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2016 1:11 pm    

I'm not sure this will work for hand cramps, but for leg cramps I found that a couple swallows of PICKLE JUICE works for me. Usually, in less than a minute the cramps will be gone... Dill seems to work faster, but sweet pickle juice works too, and does taste better...
I carry a small jar of it when I'm playing a long gig...
Fred

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 1:58 am     Leg or hand cramps

I have been using a table spoon of mustard for probably 10 years when I get a cramp. I take the mustard when I feel a cramp coming on or when it has hit and I would say in2-4 minutes it's gone.
I have many friends that laughed at me when I suggested the mustard and now they carry mustard where ever they go. Doesn't cost much and if you drink some water with it it will get in your system faster. I believe the mustard cure came out of The Peoples Pharmacy book but I may be wrong. The mustard works....jr
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 3:54 am     Cramps

Is it possible you have a death drip on the bar? I don't know what type bar you are using but, you may want to try one of Mike Hillman's powder coated bars as they are much easier to hold and manage. JAT! A little rosin works for me. I don't get cramps but I tend to sweat a lot.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 11:49 am    

Peter Harris wrote:
Jeremy Threlfall wrote:

...and the smell coming from that will take your mind off the cramps.... Laughing

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Mike Petryk

Waterford NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2016 1:00 pm    

Hi All,
Here's an interesting read on cramps. I think I'll keep some mustard packettes around.
Regards,
Mike

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-way-to-prevent-muscle-cramps-1468256588
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 4:40 am    

Good article.

For some reason a ham sandwich with mustard and pickles sounds good long about now.
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 2:08 pm    

I started having hand cramps playing Dobro with a standard Stevens bar. After switching to a Dunlop SP1 the pain went away. I found out the shorter bar in my large hands does not work. It was all about straining to grip the bar, as Bob indicated.
I use a 12 string bar for 10 string playing on PSG and do not have that problem.
Lefty