| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pondering Cabinet Drop
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 9:18 am    

I was looking at pictures of the Anapeg pedal steels and the way they are designed with the neck/changer/keyless tuning head all integrated in one independant assembly which can be removed from the guitar body intact....strings strung to pitch and everything. This design is supposed to totally eliminate detuning which raises three questions: 1. Does it work? 2. Is the tone of the guitar adversly affected by this design? And 3. If it does eliminate cabinet drop without sacrificing tone why is Anapeg the only builder doing it this way? (as far as I know)
Anapeg steels are rare specimens so not a lot of players have played or even seen one directly, but if anyone out there has experience with them I'd be interested to hear of it. The design with regard to detuning seems to make good sense on the face of it. Here's a link to the pictures:
http://www.homeopathic.co.nz/anapeg/anapeg.html
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 9:52 am    

Fender pedal steels pioneered that deck-changer-keyhead assembly back in the '50s, and it also "floated" in a solid metal frame like the Anapeg. Yes, It eliminates cabinet drop, but other design techniques can also reduce cabinet drop to where it isn't a serious problem.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 4:47 am    

That's interesting Donny. I just assumed Anapeg was the originator. My guitar certainly has measureable cabinet drop and while I wouldn't call it a serious problem it's something I'd rather be without. Not that I'm in the market for an Anapeg unless I win a loto, but I wonder what North American guitars they most sound like...if any?
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 8:21 am    

The Anapeg design works- and sounds great! Noel is so meticulous about his work that someone once joked that "he even polishes his tools before putting them away". My Anapeg is a joy to play and I've had the good fortune of working with Noel (Anstead) and a nicer "bloke" you'll never meet. Several years ago I called him up about a cabinet drop problem that I'd been dealing with in one of the guitars that I'd built and he diagnosed the problem over the phone after asking a couple of design questions. Mind you- I'd worked on the issue for several weeks without finding the flaw.
MARK GILES

HAMILTON, TEXAS
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 9:30 am    

With Pali working on the patient, it could have possibly been pilot error. Unless of course the patient was furry. Or was it lacquered? All in jest my friend. Merry Christmas.