| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LA 400 City Series Combo Amp, Peavey Special 130 Combo
Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 11:55 am    

Is it worth driving 2 hours to buy one of these for $200.00?

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2016 2:03 pm    

Nope.
Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 6:53 am    

well... that was easy.

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 8:02 am     Peavey LA 400

In 1984, this amplifier carried a U.S. MSRP of $474.50.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 12:43 pm    

The Special is a solid, powerful, dependable amp which would do nicely for clean tele or general pedal use. They don't have a ton of resale value.

No personal experience with the LA, but it sounds like the same description might fit.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 1:47 pm     Peavey LA 400

It's a powerhouse of an amplifier. Same power amp as the Special. There are a lot of Nashville, Tennessee players that really would like that amp as it is small, powerful and loud, ie; easy to transport or use for a "sub" gig. Guitar in one hand and the amp in the other.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 6:44 pm    

I played steel through an LA-400 for a couple of years in the church band I was in. I thought it worked well for steel. We went to in-ears and playing directly into the board, so I sold it around '98-'99.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 7:24 pm    

If they are in very clean condition I think I would go $300 for both amps. The 2 hours doesn't bug me if the amps are in very clean functioning condition (No cat pee or cigarette smell, no missing knobs and tolex is still nice, speakers are original or better... not some crappy mismatched speaker, all tone/volume/reverb knobs work, etc).
With an RV3 at your side you would have a great Stereo bar rig.
Even at $400 it's only like a few cents more over 5 years time or so.
I like to get them for under a hundred though.
Craigslist take me away!
Also, There is a nice Studio Pro 50 for $99, and a Nashville 1000 for $350, at our local used shop.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 10:18 pm    

As I suggested above, I think it's probable that those are both solid, powerful, dependable amps. I think they're also both about 30 years old. If they had tubes and said "Marshall" on the front, or that "F" word, you'd pay through the nose for them!

Amps that say Session or Nashville or even Vegas on the front have a niche market, much of which is active on this forum. These don't.

I passed up a Special on Craigslist here last week for $60, because the last thing I need is another amp, and I didn't think it looked like easy money. Undervalued? Absolutely. But I certainly wouldn't drive two hours and pay three times as much for that amp, even if it was still undervalued at that price. Which explains my answer to the question in the original post. Good amps, good value, little resale value.
They remain pretty good amps. And Peavey service can't be beat. But if you don't need one in a hurry, you can beat those prices.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2016 10:50 pm    

If the 30 year old "F" or "M" amps were solid state, you couldn't get any money out of them, either, and they'd be a lot less likely to be working well than these.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 2:41 am    

Yes. Worth it for the LA400. Awesome amp Have one I play my old MSA thru at home.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 3:43 am    

I also had a Special 130 for several years, but didn't play steel through it much. The cabinet is the same size as the LTD 400, and Nashville 400 so I opened up the baffle to take a 15" speaker. Can't remember which one I had in it, I think it was an Evans branded Eminence, it sounded good. Somewhere down the line I used the original cabinet for something else, and built this cabinet for it.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 3:55 am    

Beautiful cabinet Darvin...

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 8:53 am    

Didn't the LA 400 come with some weird speaker configurations? Thought I saw some with a horn.
Mike Brown

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 8:58 am     La 400

No, the LA400 was not offered with a horn, but it's sister amps, the Austin 400 and the Reno 400 did. The Reno was an acoustic electric amplifier for use with electric/acoustic guitars. The Austin 400 had the same circuitry as the Reno on one channel, but it also had a second channel for electric guitar.
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2016 8:59 am    

Makes sense, Mike. Thanks.
Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2016 4:41 pm     130.

My opinion the special 130 is worth 200 dont know anything about the la 400 how ever i had a 130 special a few years ago put an eps 12 in it with the Ken Fox mod. it was awesome you could play any where and never have to mic it. power to burn and nice and compact i used it for steel all though could never get it to sound like the 400. or the 112.it just seem to lack that little something for steel for me at least but still and awesome little amp in my book. sorry i did sell it to a friend. but the deal is i buy it back if he is selling but he wont budge. Smile

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 5:54 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
Yes. Worth it for the LA400. Awesome amp Have one I play my old MSA thru at home.

I agree. LA 400 is worth the drive, and what's 2 hours in the grand scheme of things? I've driven 2 hours each way for a lesson Smile It has a Black Widow 12 in it. 210W RMS into the 4 ohm BW. Passive eq. Compact and powerful.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 6:34 pm    

I have a Reno 400 that is a perfectly good amp for use here in the practice room. I've played steel through it, but right now it's in use as a low-volume bass amp. I paid $80 for it from a keyboard player, so I think I did okay.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?