| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Brand of Steel is being played
Weldon Hargraves

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 5:54 pm    

Anyone know what brand of steel is being played on "Touch my Heart by Dale Watson
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 6:15 pm    

Which player is it on that song, dale used many over the years! Newer stuff was ricky, sho-bud i beleive!

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 8:01 am    

I have seen Dale in the mid 90's in The Netherlands and Ricky was with him back then and Ricky was using a black Emmons LG if my mind serves me right with a Peavey 1000.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 8:30 am    

If it is on the "Little Darlin'" release that would be Lloyd Green, most likley playing his Sho Bud
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 11:01 am    

Doesn't matter when it was done or who was playing. The word around here is you can tell which brand it is by just the sound! Cool

(Sorry, I just had to say that! Wink )
Weldon Hargraves

Hamilton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 1:00 pm     Unknown guit on Dale Watson's Touch my Heart

Could be Lloyd Green! Certainly has a growely sound with a distinct tone and expression similar to Lloyd. Will further study. This particular cut captured a sound I love - a great "voice"!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 10:51 am    

i thought ricky would 'only' play sho-buds..!! course, if it growled, according to the forum it had to be an emmons p/p....unless it growled even more than a p/p it was a rittenbury (or is that berry?), which probably wasn't used on a dale watson session.
Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 11:05 am    

Maybe Ricky should chime in. However, I believe Sho~Buds comprise the overwelming majority of PSGs on Dale's recorded music.

Ricky played Sho~Buds with exception of the Emmons very early on (Ricky, did your Emmons ever make it to CD?). The non- PSGs were Fender Stringmasters or his own SS Hawaiiian.

Don Pawlak, Dales current picker, plays a Sho~Bud PSG

I'm not sure, but I think Scott Walls played on a few of Dales recorded songs, and if so, I'd be willing to bet the guitar was a Sho~Bud.

Herb S., didn't you play on some of Dale's songs? If so, which guitar(s) did you use?

In any case, regardless of what guitar was used, I've yet to hear anything but ace pickin' on any of Dale's music. A great musician with excellent steel pickers all around.

Way to go gents. Cool

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2008 1:55 pm    

Glenn
On "Leave Me Alone," I played a Fessenden lacquer cabinet guitar.

On "Best of the Hightone Years" I played an Emmons PP.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 4:05 pm    

Didn't Ricky play a Fulwaka at one time?

Tony
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 6:05 pm    

LLoyd maines did a lot too, dident he??
Iv'e heard ' He's not bad " Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2008 6:18 pm    

Ok here's the run-down..ha.
The recording your talking about with "touch my heart"...was Dale redoing/revisiting the little darlin' years of Johnny paycheck songs...and that is Pete Wade on guitar and of course Lloyd Green on his Sho~bud LDG.
I came on with Dale Watson; right after "I hate these songs" was recorded....and that was a Lloyd Maines production with Lloyd playing steel on about everything except for "Leave me alone" which was indeed Herb Steiner as he stated...(and that was just about the most bad-a$$ solo I've heard Herb).
My first recording with Dale was "The Truckin' Sessions" and yes that was my '88 Emmons through two fender twins. Previous to that; I cut my emmons on several Gary P. Nunn CD's and many other local things with it. After Truckin' sessions I played on all the Dale watson CD's up until "Dreamland" when I left the band and I cut all those with a Shobud Pro II...Except a fender stringmaster on some things....and the CD "One more Once More" was cut on my Fulawka all on the C6th neck.
Glenn it's very Scary how much you know me and what I've done.....ha...are you stalking me???ha....
Any more questions??
Ricky
Steven Hoffer

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 3:11 pm     Old Thread Bump, question for Ricky Davis

Hey Ricky, my buddy dragged me along to check out Dale a couple weeks back. Needless to say I'm now a big fan I've been picking up all his records as I can afford them. So far my favorite is the first "Truckin Sessions". I love your playing on that record. I have to ask, on "I gotta get home to my baby" is that an homage to the sesame street theme song or "Memphis Tennessee"?. Cheers!
73 Sho-bud Pro 1, 52 Fender Tele reissue, 2006 Gibson Jimmy Page #1 Les Paul Custom Authentic , 2010 Jimmy Page #2, 99 Gibson ES-335, 01 Gibson Hummingbird, 2013 Martin D28, Fender Twin Reissue, 74 Fender Champ, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Fender Princeton, Ceriatone Jtm45 Clone, Metro 69' spec Super Lead Clone, Supro 1624 Reissue
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2016 5:02 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Doesn't matter when it was done or who was playing. The word around here is you can tell which brand it is by just the sound! Cool

(Sorry, I just had to say that! Wink )

Yeah Donny. I can tell what brand a steel guitar is. I need to hear it close up though. If I can get my ear close to the strings, I can tell you the brand.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2016 2:16 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:

My first recording with Dale was "The Truckin' Sessions" and yes that was my '88 Emmons through two fender twins.

Any more questions?

Yeah, two Twin Reverbs ? As in 2 ?

One for the right ear and one for the left ? Question

"Try the Veal"... Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2016 9:42 am    

Ha...Steven; knowing Dale, I'm sure it was "Memphis Tennessee".
Tony YES 2 twins. One for one channel and the other for another channel. I always recorded through two channels; mainly because the Steel Guitar IS the DEFINING instrument in Country Music; so it has to be right up front; in your face; and in both ears; or I tell the Producer/or/engineer: "if you can't deal with that; I can still make a tee-time; so decide NOW"..!!!!
Ricky